Baffled by domain forwarding/redirect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CyberCrone
-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Baffled by domain forwarding/redirect Reply with quote

I have just installed Abyss free version. The setup instructions seem to assume that only computers on my network will be accessing my web page. So my first question is, does the free version not support access from the Internet?

If it does not, then I will have to go to the paid version and my question stops here.

If I'm supposed to be able to get access from the Internet, then I am VERY confused because I signed up with a domain forwarding/redirect service and I can't figure out what IP address to give them, my router or my personal computer where Abyss resides?

And I also can't figure out how to set up directory so the domain forward service sees it as www.mydomainname.com, which they require.

Am I dumb, or are the instructions that come with the server program too sparse?

:(
-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CyberCrone, welcome to the forums.
Yes, Abyss X1 (free version) is designed to be accessed from the outside internet.

If you have a router, make sure you have the port forwarded that Abyss is using.
Go to PortForward.com, select your router's make/model and follow the directions for "HTTP".

Also, you give your external IP to the forwarding/redirecting service.

Here are a couple other informative pages to look over...
Frequently Asked Questions
Making your site accessible from the Internet
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
CyberCrone
-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moxxnixx wrote:
CyberCrone, welcome to the forums.
Yes, Abyss X1 (free version) is designed to be accessed from the outside internet.

If you have a router, make sure you have the port forwarded that Abyss is using.
Go to PortForward.com, select your router's make/model and follow the directions for "HTTP".

Also, you give your external IP to the forwarding/redirecting service.

Here are a couple other informative pages to look over...
Frequently Asked Questions
Making your site accessible from the Internet

Thanks! All your comments helpful. Also Making your site accessible from the Internet is exactly what I needed--very clear and explicit. Did I miss some reference to these articles in the setup instructions?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: