Linux and Unix???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
razorsedge
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Linux and Unix??? Reply with quote

What is the difference between these 2 OS's?? i have not yet found the difference
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Linux and Unix??? Reply with quote

razorsedge wrote:
What is the difference between these 2 OS's?? i have not yet found the difference

Today, UNIX is a generic term that refers to a family of operating systems that share the same philosophy, commands, and system calls. Linux belongs to that family as does FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris, AIX, MacOS X (or more accurately its Darwin system), and several others ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:UNIX_variants ).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix should give you more details about UNIX systems and their history.
Beomage
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are posix compliant. Unix(sco), solaris, mach(now used by apple) were all developed by commercial entities. Linux is developed by freelancers donating time and code openly, releasing the os under GPL restrictions (the catch 22 of open ;] ).

As far as usage, it depends mostly on the packages installed, and minor kernel differences.
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that UNIX was the base OS for all major OS' (like windows mac ETC....) Since some (if not all) Unix commands can be used with the Command Terminal
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Thanks for all the answers!!!! i really do appreciate it... k now one more quick question... can i use aprelium web server on linux? i am prolly switchin 2 the ubuntu.... i guess what i am askin can i use the windows one on ubuntu linux?
Beomage
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there were many other os's that have their own base. win 9x and nt have separate kernels, and they're completely different compared to *nix. mac os up to os 9 was all it's own system, and had horrible command line support till osx. there was beos, next, amiga (more like apple, selling hardware AND software), dos(poor excuse :P) , system 1 through 7 (previous mac), then os 8, os9 (later mac os's), os2 (nothing to do with mac, ran windown 16 bit apps) etc etc.

razorsedge - a binary for windows and binary for linux are not compatible with each other's os. You'll have to run wine - which is a windows emulation layer to run a windows version on linux.

or just get the linux package - http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/download.php
razorsedge
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k so whwere can i get this so called wine? is it an OS or is it an emulator?
also some linux programs have issues with my wireless card.... for instance when i update, i always lose my driver for my card? anyone know y?
madman1337
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find Wine at WineHQ. Wine is neither an emulator, or an OS. It simply has certain files (like dll's) that almost all windows programs need and can mimic a file structure like in windows, with the whole "C:\" and such.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: