Apache VS Abyss

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Apache VS Abyss Reply with quote

AWS is a great server, iv tried using apache but coud'nt get it to run correctly with php. Iv been using AWS for almost 6 months now and would never use anything else. What my question is, why dosent everyone use abyss? Apache is hard to configure and use. Sure apache has been around for awhile but so has abyss, but i still notice that just about everyone uses apache or IIS....... What do you think? Why do you think people dont use abyss as much as apache?
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apache is much more well known, there are a bit more options that you can do in apache (I think...not 100%), some people like it better, and the fact there are many tools built for apache (like cpanel). now just a matter of comming up with a great library of tools and getting abyss to become well known.

Its just like some people (like me) and linux. I like linux better, but not too many people know about it or try it out so there are a lot of stuff that I would love to have built for linux and not have to find some other way around (like ventrilo...I have to use wine to run it, and even then its not working 100%)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more reason is that it comes native with Linux and it only takes a few command line commands to set it running. True with abyss its the same but it doesn't come nativly.
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AbyssUnderground wrote:
One more reason is that it comes native with Linux and it only takes a few command line commands to set it running. True with abyss its the same but it doesn't come nativly.

It could come nativly if it had a bit more buplicity
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apache is open source and more powerful if you know what you're doing with its configuration files. Apache has a lot of "mods", meaning you can add features pretty easy. Another great web server is LigHTTPd. It's small, fast and supports FastCGI and SSL right away.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason which could explain the adoption of IIS and Apache is that both install by default (IIS on Windows pro and server editions, Apache on Linux).

Apache became popular because during many years there was no alternative to it. Later IBM and other large software companies provided large funds and press buzz when they decided to base their products on it (and to save on developing software in-house).
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aprelium wrote:
The reason which could explain the adoption of IIS and Apache is that both install by default (IIS on Windows pro and server editions, Apache on Linux).

Apache became popular because during many years there was no alternative to it. Later IBM and other large software companies provided large funds and press buzz when they decided to base their products on it (and to save on developing software in-house).

So basicly the reason apache is huge is:

Its old
Its versitial
and its included with linux
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: