ns2, ns3, ns6 Zoneedit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marty
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: ns2, ns3, ns6 Zoneedit Reply with quote

Just a quicky these Zones are offline.. so if your experiancing problems, its not your fault, information is correct at time of post. http://www.zoneedit.com/status.html

TBH its probably just a stunt to gain some extra revenue been christmas and all, but f-it I bought the bloody extra zones and now iam left waitting for my site to return...

Is there anything I can do myself with the following information...

IP Address
IP Gateway
Primary DNS Server
relay.imagine.ie
Secondary DNS Server
dns2.dns.imagine.ie

With regards to turning my windows xp pro into a DNS server, meaning I wouldn't have to use such a service like ZoneEdit ?
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty,

That is not real cool!!! I looked up one or two DNS server utilities. this one here looks nice although it cost some money. www.simpledns.com

Than I found one on SourceForge, http://sourceforge.net/projects/dhcp-dns-server/ it looks like it might work although it is a DHCP server too...

It rather appears that a DNS is not that easy to configure?

I use that zoneedit too, so would like to have a backup plan in place myself when this happens. Please keep me posted if you figure out a easy way to run your own and I will look more in to it as well! Thanks...

I hope ZE gets their servers up soon for you!
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive tried setting up a DNS server several times and failed every single time. I wouldnt bother to be honest.
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried once, it just confused the hell out of me :/
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph wrote:
Than I found one on SourceForge, http://sourceforge.net/projects/dhcp-dns-server/ it looks like it might work although it is a DHCP server too...

Tried this myself problem is if your own router has a built in DHCP it will have problems with the ports so not recommended...

Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ralph
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'll take all your words for it when it comes to the DNS topic...lol. It might not be too hard to do if it were like just to serve a small intranet system. But when were talking about running our servers world wide like we all do, than were talking about a pretty good size table of subnet masks and ranges to configure.

Like you mentioned hubson, the router is already doing that job of handing out the internal IP's. That would mean the routers DHCP would have to be disabled and than what would that do to any NAT protection. At that point you might have to just toss the router and make the one DNS unit take care of all three jobs, which does not sound all that fun, making everything jive together...

Well here it is 12 hours later and I just clicked on that zone link of Marty's and it looks like it is still down. Wow...what is up with that...

Well shoot Marty! I have been making a little site out of one of those domain names you passed over to me...Still needs a little work but is starting to take some shape. Thanks again for that and I hope my zone edit connection holds out long enough to enjoy my new site to be...

www.badtm.com
Marty
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah this DNS stuff is way over my head at the moment, however ive just realised that I don't need to use zoneedit as I can add my own A records and mx records to my domains settings, actually Ralph you can do the same with badtm.com

The simpledns program looks good though, but I guess I won't need it now, but thanks lads for the replys...

Marty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: