how to Install mySQL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan-Lee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: how to Install mySQL Reply with quote

Hi @ll,

how can i install mySQL ? Please help me.

Alan-Lee
Bluedog
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto http://www.mysql.org and download the installer.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
kevin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same pickle. I've been to the MySQL.com website, downloaded the installer, installed it into the Abyss folder.. and then.. what's next? There doesn't appear to be any step beyond that and the documentation is no help. How does Abyss/php know where mysql is located? What am I missing?

-Kevin
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: installing MySQL, configuring mysql Reply with quote

MySQL was the hardest challenge I had but fortunately for you you're about to find something out which took me a while... Now I have no idea how I got going with MySQL without it... Go to http://www.phpmyadmin.net and download phpMyAdmin...

Follow the instructions carefully it is very well documented. phpMyAdmin will provide an almost to good to be true GUI to MySQL... Using it you'll be able to apply grants (permissions) create, edit and delete users and databases...

You need php 4.3.0 and you can find out more on this page http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/php.html

If when you try to edit or simply open instructions for phpMyAdmin and it looks crazy, all jumbled together, hard to read go to http://www.phpedit.com and download phpedit (a free code editor) and it will bring order and organization to those files makin them readable...

Hey did this help you? Got the problem solved already? Please let us know :)
kevin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know all about phpMyAdmin. In fact I work with it professionally at work. However this is my first time actually installing these components on my own. I'm quite litterally a professional programmer without any server experience. All I do is program them.. I don't work with them. So the problem I'm having is that I can't get MySQL to work *AT ALL*, period, nada, nothin.

$db = mysql_connect($host, $un, $pw); gives me an error.

Where do I go from here?

-Kevin
kevin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. I should also note that I use DreamweaverMX has my editor so I have no problem reading the config file which I have already updated with all relevant information.

What I am having a problem with is understanding how Abyss or PHP knows where MySQL is in the first place. There doesn't appear to be any place for me to input that path name.

Any clues along that line? Do I have to configure Abyss in some way? The help docs seem to offer no clues.

-Kevin
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: MySQL, Installation, Configuration, PHP, Abyss Reply with quote

I've installed MySQL several times on several machines all along with php applications that we're dependent on both... Though I cannot explain how it works it just does... What I mean is I don't remember having to configure php to work with MySQL or vice versa...

I use many scripts and none even ask where php or MySQL resides... As long as php is working correctly with Abyss web server and your MySQL server is running on Windows, when you come across a script that requires both you're usually only asked if you have rights to build or create a database and of so the user and pass to it along with host...

The true task is getting php to work with Abyss and then getting the MySQL server running on your system (in the tray do you see a little street light, red, yellow, green). If the light is green your database is running... If it is red their is a problem... If you enjoy command lines get busy with them but if you prefer a GUI I recommend phpMyAdmin as the administrative front to MySQL...

I'll explain it a little more as I am about to install Abyss, MySQL, php and and a few dependent scripts on a family members PC... I'll document it as best I can and let you know what my steps are to get an application like phpbb2 working (MySQL, php, server dependent).

I hope I cleared a few things otherwise feel free to ask any questions :)
kevin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that helped out some. In the mysql/bin directory double click the winmysqladmin application. However when I did this the first time it flashed a display at me then dissapeared. When I clicked it the second time the Username/Password display appeared but nothing was clickable, the application was "not responding". When I force quit out of it and attempted to run it a third time I got the regular display as though I'd logged in however again nothing was clickable and the application was "not responding".

Running WinXP Pro here. Any thoughts?

- Kevin
kevin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay just as I said that I got it to work.. at least this far. I had installed two version 3.2 and 4.0. Seems 4.0 has a bug in it that won't allow it to run on XP. But the 3.2 binary works. So that's one problem down several to go. :P

- Kevin
kevin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-FINALLY-

Got it to work and connect succesfully. The problem, it turned out, is that I have a non-traditional system. In otherwords I have Windows install my D: drive instead of my C: drive. MySQL was obviously expecting to be installed on the C: drive becuase as soon as I moved the folder from D:/mysql to C:/mysql everything worked.

Thanks for your help. If you're still interested in doing that step-by-step guide I'd be happy to offer it a home.

- Kevin
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: MySQL, Not running, user and password Reply with quote

You can run MySQL from any partition but theirs a trick to it... I explain it in my step by step guide which I just completed... I am just checking it for errors along with several guides that I've just completed...

You'll laugh when you find out how easy it is...

Great you have MySQL up and running for the meantime ;)
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: MySQL, running, not running, problem, problems Reply with quote

Ok I've written several guides but since cleaning them up might take a while heres the trick to get MySQL to run from anywhere on your harddrive, partitions, etc...

Create a new text file and copy and paste the following into your new file...

[mysqld]
basedir=c:/Program Files/Abyss Web Server/database/mysql/
datadir=c:/Program Files/Abyss Web Server/database/mysql/data/

Simply change the values for basedir and datadir and input the true values of where it is your MySQL and MySQL data directories are located...

Save the file as "my.ini" without the quotes... and save it into your C:\WINDOWS directory...

Thats it... You follow that and you should be able to run MySQL from anywhere on your harddrive...

Did this answer your question? Got it solved already? Please let us know :)
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: guides are up under general questions Reply with quote

Hey my guides are up under general questions :) I couldn't make them sticky though I wish I could... Anyhow a guide for phpbb2, MySQL, phpMyAdmin, OSSuite and Geeklog are up...

I hope they help someone :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> PHP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: