I have a problem with router/switch please help me :)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Griffco
-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: I have a problem with router/switch please help me :) Reply with quote

Hey guys, I currently have a BT home hub through which my main pc connects to, and my server via ethernet, however last week i was forced to buy a airport express for my apple laptop, which means ive run out of ethernet ports, so i baught a Switch which has 8 more ports, i connected the switch to my home hub via an ethernet cable.

So currently connected to the home hub is my main pc and my switch, and connected to my switch is my server and airport express, until i added this switch my website... www.griffco.co.uk was running fine, but now it doesnt load and im totaly clueless as to why...

Any help would be much apreciated
Sorry if this question has already been covered also.

Regards
:) :) :)
Sean

samgriffco@hotmail.com
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
olly86
-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check to ensure the port forwarding you've setup, has the correct IP address, as when changing the networking hardware, may have altered your server's private IP address.
-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i am trying this at the moment, but i have several devices, wireless and not wireless connected to my home hub and dont know which IP repesents the switch :S. so im just trying each one at a time, ill let you know shortly how it goes

Thanks

Sean
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing represents the switch as far as I know. You simply forward to the PC's LAN IP since the router has the DHCP in it.

Running a server you should not use DHCP. Use static IP's for the server and DHCP for the other PC's.
Griffco
-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thankyou both for your help, i dont fully understand this technical talk, and would really really aprciate it if you could talk to me via msn and go thru the steps with me? Andy ( abyss underground dude ), i already have u on my msn list but your not online,

Thanks, i have my hub manager open now ready to edit if you have a few mins spare we could set it up maybe?

Thanks ever so much

Regards

Sean
Griffco
-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i think ive done it

www.griffco.co.uk

any luck?>

but i am interested in finding out how to change it to a static IP, any ideas how?

Thanks everyone

Sean
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works great. Congrats.

To change to a static IP, you need to define the DHCP range in your router. Change it to a range "10" above what it is at the moment.

EG, if it is currently 192.168.1.100 set it to 192.168.1.110.

Now you need to go to the status page on your router and find the DNS addresses. Copy them down as you will need them.

Now go to the IP configuration on the server and set it to manual. Enter an IP outside the DHCP range, eg, 192.168.1.100. Enter the subnet mask which is usually defaulted to 255.255.255.0, then the gateway is the IP of your router. Enter the two DNS addresses in the DNS boxes.

Click OK until you are back to your desktop. Wait a few seconds then do an ipconfig at the command prompt. It should show the IP has changed.

Try accessing the internet. If it doesnt work, put the settings on automatic again and post the settings you tried with screenshots if possible.

Remember to set the port forwarding settings correctly when you change the IP to static.
Griffco
-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate, thankyou for all the help...

I am trying to follow what your saying but unfortunately, i dont fully understand.

If you have any time to log onto MSN messenger and go step by step with me, i would greatly apreciate it.

However if you are too busy i fully understand.

Regards, Sean

(p.s as i have some questions to ask you about static ip addresses to)

my msn is samgriffco@hotmail.com but i think i already added you :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: