9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
You Idiot! That doesnt even make sense!
14%
 14%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 21

akrocks
-

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: Guide: Using Abyss and a Linksys Router Reply with quote

Ok, I had a mess-o-time trying to get this to work and actually it was easier that I made it.

ok!

1. Open the Abyss console and click Server Configuration, and look and see what port you are using. The default is usually 80.

2. Open your browser and type http://192.168.1.1 (or click that < link ;)) in to the address bar and hit enter.

3. Type in your login information. If you do not know it type admin for the user and admin for the password. I suggest you change the password if it is admin ;).

4. Click Advanced. Then Click Forwarding.

5. Under Ext.Port there are two (2) text boxes type in your port in both boxes.

6. Check Protocol TCP and Protocol UDP check boxes.

7. Under IP Address, type in the last digit(s) after xxx.xxx.xxx.
a. To find the IP Address go to Start > Run > Type cmd

8. Click the Enabled check box.

9. Click the Apply button.

10. Open a new browser window and type in http://IP ADDRESS (Change IP ADDRESS to your REAL IP Address)

11. If it works, have someone outside your LAN check it.

12. If it does not work you either did something wrong or your ISP blocked the port you are trying to use. Try something like 8080. Change the settings in abyss and the router. Then in the browser type http://IP ADDRESS:PORT

That should get you started. If you need more help ask. Also if I left something out, or said it wrong (whatever) tell me and I'll add / change it :D I just figured it out, so hoppfully this will help someone :D
-

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 5:56 am    Post subject: Hmmm..... Help!! Reply with quote

"2. Open your browser and type http://192.168.1.1 (or click that < link ) in to the address bar and hit enter. "

I'm totally lost after Step 2, firstly, I can't access Http://192.168.1.1
And I tried to skip Step 2, and move to Step 3, failed miserablely!!

Sorry, I'm pretty much a computer NERD!! :( :roll: :?:

Thanks for the tutorial though!!!! I'll check back later, and keep trying!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
akrocks
-

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Hmmm..... Help!! Reply with quote

siukiu_505 wrote:

I'm totally lost after Step 2, firstly, I can't access Http://192.168.1.1
And I tried to skip Step 2, and move to Step 3, failed miserablely!!

What do you mean by you cant access it? You dont know the login information or it shows up a page not found?
-

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me its 192.168.0.1
akrocks
-

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitai wrote:
For me its 192.168.0.1

yes, that is possible. Although, I think that both should work.. Not sure.. 8)
-

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guy's don't have to go through all that work to do this tutorial, here's a copy of my linksys e-mail for setting up a web server , this will work.

TRUST ME !

http://www.offspringvideos.com/router/ :D
-

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: Akrocks... Reply with quote

I figured that my IP is "http://192.168.1.3/"

But then there's nothing shows up....... All I access was my Abyss Web Server Index Page.
Step 3 never happened.......
"3. Type in your login information. If you do not know it type admin for the user and admin for the password. I suggest you change the password if it is admin "

What am I suppose to do now??? :oops: :?: :?:
siukiu_505
-

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, when I typed in http://192.168.1.3, what's suppose to show up????

Can you screen capture every step?? Sorry, I'm more of a vitual learner!!
siukiu_505
-

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, never mind my pervious questions

I had just realized I don't have Linksys; therefore I couldn't find those Advance.. Filters and stuff. Thanks though. BUt can use Abyss w/o having linksys??[/b]
os17fan
-

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure just configure your other router software to work with Abyss Web Server , contact the company of your router and they will help you 8)
-

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the login thing pops up type in the bottom, admin

It is default, if it doesn't work, sorry.
os17fan
-

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so , but on linksys you would type admin for password and thats all you put you don't have to put user name 8)

LOOK AT YOUR ROUTER MANUAL
-

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never had any difficulties with mine, just forwarded the port, its pretty simple :)

My Abyss site!

http://crashhappy.gatewayy.net
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To gain access to Linksys, please take a look in your Linksys PDF on the CD DISC. It will tell you how to gain access. Goto page 25 for instruction to get access to configure your router.
The following is BEFSR41 model but should be similar for any model.
ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/befsr11_befsr41ug.pdf
Above PDF is just an example where you should look if you have another model.
-

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i went to that IP and it dint come up my linksys router page, it cam up my msn broadband dsl page 8O
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REALSTooPID wrote:
well i went to that IP and it dint come up my linksys router page, it cam up my msn broadband dsl page 8O

When you indicate "msn broadband dsl page" do you mean your gateway? If you have both "Gateway" and "Router" that is sitting on 192.168.1.1, then one of them is broadcasting and the other just idling.

Are you connecting all your LAN to your "Gateway" which is your "msn boardband dsl"? If so, then I assume your Gate have NAT or DHCP setting for your LAN PC. In this case you do not need your Linksys except as a switch. To gain access to your Linksys, use one of your PC and connect directly to Linksys and enter 192.168.1.1 for access. Enter the default passord and leave the username blank. I assumed you did not change anything to linksys.

Example: PC >> RJ45 > 192.168.1.1 > PW >> LINKSYS > Linksys Menu
You can set your Linksys to 192.168.2.1 instead of 192.168.1.1. After you have set it up, you can put back your PC and Linksys to your network. This time, you can now enter 192.168.2.1 to access Linksys and 192.168.1.1 for MSN Broadband DSL Gateway.

If your setup is working for you, then I suggest not to fiddle or mess-up a good thing. Above is just one of the way to gain access to your Linksys if there another appliance have the same IP.
-

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to him on MSN and viw email and I wasn't able to help him. :/

I don't know WTF he means either but its very interesting. :)

My Abyss site!

CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatewayy wrote:
I spoke to him on MSN and viw email and I wasn't able to help him. :/

I don't know WTF he means either but its very interesting. :)

It just to hard to help if giving very vague information and had to assume what he meant. From previous couple of post, all the stuff I assume are those I believe or think I understand from just one statement. Hopefully he can reply back and give better information or clarify what exactly going on.

The following I think I understand or assumed:
1. The only think I believe I know from him is he have a MSN Broadband DSL
2. Try to access by 192.168.1.1 for Linksys but access MSN Broadband DSL instead
3. Maybe have Linksys ... or something else of Linksys brand
4. It a problem or trying to fix something that is not broken

BTW, do you understand if I say this >>> I have a flat tire <<<
Do you know what I mean? The obvios part is that I need a replacement tire or patch it up. But do anyone know what make / model of my car or the size of tire I need for the car in question?

I think your phrase "WTF" is TOTALLY correct! So, I guess the next VAGUE question a person post will be my answer "WTF" are you talking about?
-

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suggested that he might want to call linksys tech support. also it might not hurt to call the isp as well :)

My Abyss site!

CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatewayy wrote:
i suggested that he might want to call linksys tech support. also it might not hurt to call the isp as well :)

If that gateway is from MSN Broadband, then yes. If he have Linsys router also, then yes, too, for the router.
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

REALSTooPID wrote:

When it come up as your MSN BroadBand DSL page, then it either your Gateway or your Router.
Can you PLEASE PLEASE try this:
1. Unpuck your Linksys and one PC from your LAN.
2. Connet your Linksys [if it is really a LINKSYS] with your PC using RJ45 to any LAN Port.
3. Enter 192.168.1.1 from your browser URL

If your Linksys was not change in some way of the configuration setting, it should be the default URL to access it.

Note:
You can reset your Linksys by using a sharp object and pok the reset hole. Beware, if you have some kind of setting by someone and do not know the setting, do not touch it. Otherwise, you may cause more problem then you have now.

BTW, I do not recall Linksys make any MSN BroadBand for Microsoft as OEM or contract in anyway.
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: what do i do!? Reply with quote

is there any other way to access these controls, because i don't know the login/password and its not admin/admin..
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: what do i do!? Reply with quote

jay wrote:
is there any other way to access these controls, because i don't know the login/password and its not admin/admin..

Whom setup your router and what brand / model? If it is new and you are the first one open it, the manual will tell you the default Username / Password to access it. If it setup by someone already, then they may have change the username / password and have also setup all the necessary setting. You will need to copy those setting before you reset your router whatever you going to do; that may affect your network.

If you have the manual or some documentation regarding that particular model, you can try to reset it. BE WARN, if you reset the router, you will still need to know the default username / password to access it. And also you STILL need to know the setting of your network like your IP that your ISP assign to you and your LAN IP if needed. Either-way, you need to know some information or setting before you decide to going to this path.

This situation sound like "catch 22". Heehe... If you know the username / password, you do not need to reset the router but can change it setting within. The other side, you do not know the username / password you can not reset the router until you can get that setting or configuration of the router first before you can reset it or everything will be lost. Funny heh? Seriously, if you have that setting and it configuration but do not know the username / password, you can reset it to the factory default setting which will reset the username / password to the factory preset. You still need to get that documentation regarding the default username / password.

For Linksys, it should be:
Username =
Password = admin

Username should be left blank.
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohh someone else did set it up -- which is why im not sure of the password and login. so in order to get access my only choice is to reset then huh? is there absolutely no other way to get access/make a new password?

i'd rather be absolutely sure that i have no other options before i reset it..
but in case i do have to reset it would i have to reconfigure everything back to the way it is now? (and would i do that on all the computers hooked to the router?)

and if i can set the settings back to exactly what they are now would it still work fine? should i write down what they are now then? is it just the network connections/local area connection 2/ tcp/ip properties that i would have to remember?
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jay wrote:
ohh someone else did set it up -- which is why im not sure of the password and login. so in order to get access my only choice is to reset then huh? is there absolutely no other way to get access/make a new password?

i'd rather be absolutely sure that i have no other options before i reset it..
but in case i do have to reset it would i have to reconfigure everything back to the way it is now? (and would i do that on all the computers hooked to the router?)

and if i can set the settings back to exactly what they are now would it still work fine? should i write down what they are now then? is it just the network connections/local area connection 2/ tcp/ip properties that i would have to remember?

Ah Huh Humm .....

I am not too sure if you understand my previous message. Do you know your setting or configuration in your Router? Do you have some information that you save somewhere? If you do not have that information anywhere except from the router, then you will lose whatever setting or configuration in the Router once you PRESS the reset from the router.

But BUT if you do have that setting or configuration somewhere, then by all mean, press that reset. Then find enter the factory default credential to gain access to the router. Setup any necessary setting or whatever and changer the factory Username/PW to your liking. That should be it.

If you want to have your Router to be also a DHCP, then enable it. From your OS, you can set it to "Obtain IP Automatically" in your Networking setting. Please check your Windows Help regarding "Network". Your router and any OS will be auto assign a LAN IP from your Router.
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:59 am    Post subject: what happens next? Reply with quote

I was able to find the password and i got access to the router! butnow what?
I add in the ports used for my web server but the ip beside that is completely different than the one in my abyss server display window.
for the abyss server it says http://127.0.0.1 and then in the advanced/forwarding part it says 192.168.10.___ (blank - lets me put in a number) what do i do now? i also am unable to find the Protocol TCP and Protocol UDP check boxes.. help?
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: what happens next? Reply with quote

jay wrote:
I was able to find the password and i got access to the router! butnow what?
I add in the ports used for my web server but the ip beside that is completely different than the one in my abyss server display window.
for the abyss server it says http://127.0.0.1 and then in the advanced/forwarding part it says 192.168.10.___ (blank - lets me put in a number) what do i do now? i also am unable to find the Protocol TCP and Protocol UDP check boxes.. help?

This is not a surprise, any comuter may have more than one IP. 127.0.0.1 means "this computer" and is only valid in your computer, other IPs may be assigned by the networking devices you install.
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Check your PC LAN IP network. What does it indicate? Are you using WinXP / 2k? If so enther -> IPCONFIG /ALL <- and look for "IP ADDRESS". It should show you 192.168.1.xxx? In my case, I my LAN IP is 192.168.1.50 which I currently using. Find the LAN IP that will be your IP that your Abyss is currently using. Enter "50" (for example) in your router and the port 80.

WINIPCONFIG /all for win9x (win98/ME etc...)
-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: here, hope this helps a bit Reply with quote

k.. all you newbies, lets start off making this simple, find out the ip your lan is on (usually your ip, with only the first digit of the last column ie: 10.10.10.12 it would be 10.10.10.1. k so you try and go to that addy, if it loads correctly yay you, if not, check your connection settings and see what your default gateway is, that's the routers ip. it's not the same for everyone, so by these people giving you theirs, it makes it harder.

the default user name is nothing, just leave it blank, the password is admin. i reccomend changing this.

Click Advanced. Then Click Forwarding.

Under Ext.Port there are two (2) text boxes type in your port in both boxes.

Check Protocol TCP and Protocol UDP check boxes.

Under IP Address, type in the last digit(s) after xxx.xxx.xxx.
(To find the IP Address go to Start > Run > Type cmd - then type in ipconfig /all in there.

Click the Enabled check box.

Click the Apply button.

Open a new browser window and type in http://IP ADDRESS (Change IP ADDRESS to your REAL IP Address)

If it works, have someone outside your LAN check it.

If it does not work you either did something wrong or your ISP blocked the port you are trying to use. Try something like 8080. Change the settings in abyss and the router. Then in the browser type http://IP ADDRESS:PORT :P
-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

os17fan wrote:
You guy's don't have to go through all that work to do this tutorial, here's a copy of my linksys e-mail for setting up a web server , this will work.

TRUST ME !

http://www.offspringvideos.com/router/ :D

Doesn't work!
-

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: ISP blocking port 80 Reply with quote

What would anyone recommend if my ISP blocks port 80? I use no-ip.com for my forwarding, I would like people to be able to click http://omahshare.no-ip.com instead of http://omahshare.no-ip.com:8080/ fyi... I have a Linksys Wireless-B router, BEFW1154 with port forwarding set up for ports 80 and 8080... I can view the site from my network no problem by using the first link, but outsiders have to use the second one, otherwise they cannot get in. Any recommendations?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a No-IP port 80 redirect.
-

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iNaNimAtE wrote:
Use a No-IP port 80 redirect.

Thanks, I just found that option shortly after I posted here. Sorry! But thanks for your quick reply.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, no problem.
-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Lynksys BEFSR41 V3 and am trying to follow the step by step outlined in several posts. There is no advanced link just advanced routing which doesn't follow along with the steps. I found port range forwarding under applications and gaming but unsure what to call the application. HTTP? I understand 80 needs to go in start and end and use both tcp/udp protocols. The IP address says 192.168.1. then a box with zero. What do I put in that. I went to IPconfig the last 3 numbers were 100. Put that in? Does anyone have a newer version of Lynksys? I am struggling with their user guide. Thanks.
sabrena
-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never mind...i think i got it working now
TCG503
-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Step that might be needed is Enabling DMZ for your IP under Applications and Gaming.
sabrena
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK new problem.

My ISP blocks port 80.
I set my Lynksys BEFSR41 to forward to port 8000 or 8080.
How can I get www.mydomain.com to pull up my pages without having to type port number after it I thought the router would do this. Isn't that the point of forwarding.
TCG503
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found this to be impossible. My ISP also blocks port 80

Think of it this way:

You try to accept requests from port 80

Your ISP blocks requests from port 80

You set your router to forward connections from port 80 to port 8000 even though your ISP will still block all attempts at connections to port 80

your ISP still blocks connections to port 80 so all attempts at a connection to the router on port 80 are blocked.

if there is a solution I haven't found it yet, I've basically tried every thing imaginable.
Moxxnixx
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabrena,
As TCG503 says, this is not possible. But, there is a way to work around it.
Many domain registrars offer redirection and cloaking services. Just have www.yourdomain.com
redirect to http://YOUR-IP:8080. But, redirection will show the real addy in the address bar and
cloaking will continually show just www.yourdomain.com in the address bar. If I'm not mistaken,
no-ip.com offers this service, also.

At least, it will save some extra typing for you and your users.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sabrena
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using zoneedit but now that my ISP "caught" me it now blocks 80 and don't know how to set it to 8080. I tried webforward but that is for geocities and such, not for those who host on their own computer. I will check out no-ip but I thought that was a paid service....I am trying to go cheap! Thanks for the input.
Server One Host
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres no Advanced button for me.

Dont drop your baby yoshi!
k1ll3rdr4g0n
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there tab called something like "Port Forwarding"?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: