Moving to Windows Server 2016

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bibo
-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: Moving to Windows Server 2016 Reply with quote

My current website is on Windows Server 2008. My hosting company wants me to move to Windows Server 2016 as 2008 is no longer supported.

I installed Abyss Web Server on the 2016 machine with no problem. When I call my websites from Remote Desktop within the 2016 machine all works well - http://170.xx.76.91/

However, when I try to access http://170.xx.76.91/ from elsewhere, nothing happens. Clearly, the network is not set up to receive calls from outside.

Where can I find an explanation as to what to do from within the 2016 machine. I asked the hosting company and they don't know.

Thanks

PS

I suspect others have similar problems. It would help if there were a little tutorial.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Horizon
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
in order to rule out abyss as a cause of this issue could you try running a totally different software on the same port 443?

You could try running anything else temporarily, even a minecraft server if you wish.

Try running a totally different server software (non-HTTP server software) on the ports 80 & 443.

Then try opening a socket (connecting to that different server) with appropriate client software for your server.

If this works but Abyss doesn't then it's something to lookup in the Abyss configuration.

Next, try doing port forwarding at your hosting provider as well as authorizing in the Windows Firewall a different port like 50443.

Then try again the same experiment. If it works but the port 443 doesn't you have to ask your hosting provider to allow you the use of the port 443 on their server IP.

Even if you allow the port forwarding and firewall rule in Windows Server, your server IP & its router belong to your hosting provider.

If your hosting provider doesn't port forward to your Windows Server OS, then you can't see any connectivity.

What's the hosting provider's name if you don't mind telling?
It very likely has a dedicated network control panel I think.

One last note: you need not to use the port 443 & 80 in the server's IIS configurations.

Otherwise they will belong to WinHttp and it will have priority over Abyss Web Server, which will be unable to use these ports.
Bibo
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick reply. I am convinced that this is not an Abyss Web Server problem.

I believe that it is just a matter of changing the settings on the 2016 machine. However, I don't really want to go on a 2016 training course to change something that a person who is familiar with these machines can do in a few minutes. :-)

Here is the hosting company:

https://www.webhostpython.com/
Horizon
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
with Windows Server unlike regular OSes you have to explicitly allow things to happen.

All attempts to connect to local ports from outside for example are denied by default, you have to add 'Allow' rules for inbound connections in your Windows Firewall for each port you want to use online.

I looked up the hosting provider and its plans offer either a control panel named DirectAdmin or optionally it offers Plesk/cPanel.

Just make allow rules for each port (outbound + inbound) you need in the Windows firewall then lookup again in DirectAdmin/Plesk/cPanel for port forwarding options of your VPS.

I think RDP works because it's allowed in the Windows Firewall & forwarded by default with your hosting provider (so, WebhostPython has to do the port forwarding for you).
Bibo
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I seemed to have solved the problem. At last! 😊

Here is what I did. Possibly the first step is unnecessary. I don't know.

1- This link explains how to get IIS to work

https://success.trendmicro.com/dcx/s/solution/1061124-configuring-the-correct-roles-before-installing-apex-central-or-control-manager-tmcm-on-windows-se?language=en_US&sfdcIFrameOrigin=null

2- I stopped the IIS service

"Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Administrative Tools. Open Services. Right-click on the IIS Admin Service and select Stop, Start, or Restart."

3- I went into the Windows Firewall and allowed all connections

https://manage.accuwebhosting.com/knowledgebase/3329/How-to-Open-Ports-in-Firewall-on-Windows-Server-2016.html

I hope the above helps others. I suggest you make it into a tutorial if you want more Windows Server 2016 users.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: