Hosting through a router.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmacman
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:35 am    Post subject: Hosting through a router. Reply with quote

Hey all,
I recently set up an abyss server on this PC. It worked fine, and other people could go there......ok heres the problem now. I set up a network to connect 2 PC's that I have to the internet. Now, I cannot access the site or anyone else. The only address that works is a local address (but what good is that!). I hope you can help, JM
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Bluedog
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to set up port forwarding on the router so port 80 of the router points to your pc. Consult the router manual for help.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jmacman
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, ok. I'v tried port forwarding..the problem is that both PC's have the same internet IP.
-JM
Gatewayy
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluedog wrote:
you need to set up port forwarding on the router so port 80 of the router points to your pc. Consult the router manual for help.

I run one myself through a Linksys router. The best advice is just to read the manual provided by whoever made your router and then to play around with it.

My Abyss site!

http://crashhappy.gatewayy.net
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
enko
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: forwarding Reply with quote

You need to forward to your computers LAN ip not the WAN
jmacman
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i tried opening ports on my router(port forwarding)....no luck...and many people have tried to help. I have no clue why this isnt working :x

-JM
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmacman wrote:
Ok, i tried opening ports on my router(port forwarding)....no luck...and many people have tried to help. I have no clue why this isnt working :x

-JM

You said that the same computers have the same IP? DO you mean that they share the same WAN (external IP) because both are on the same LAN?
If so, you should use their LAN IPs to connect between them. A LAN IP looks always like 192.168.*.* or 10.*.*.* .
jmacman
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the router is giving them a WAN ip that is the same. The wan ip is not the same one that i got from my ISP. The 2 pc's have different local ip's.

-JM
enko
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: IP Reply with quote

On your LAN side your two machines will have different address so they can recognise each other, find what they are and forward the port to the servers LAN IP. :idea:
jmacman
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'v done that!
-JM
goose
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it working? :idea:
jmacman
-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, i would have told you guys. I really need to get this working :!:

-JM
budley
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Problems with Abyss behied a router Reply with quote

I also am having the same problem. I have ADSL modem conected to a DLink Di-713P router, everything is set correctly. It worked for a while then stopped. That is the web site could be seen from the wan or lan. Then out of the clear blue it stopped working. I 2x & 3x checked all settings and they are the same. I got a Linksys router and that worked for a day. If I bypass the router (computer to the modem) it works without a problem. I'm now in the process of trying to set it up as a server/ics (modem - computer with 2 nics - router -remaining computers).

If anyone has thoughts or comments on this please advise. As I would like to have all equipment behied the router.

Thanks,
bud[/b]
Quas
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever PC you're using as the server needs to be setup with a STATIC address, not dynamic. Follow your routers manual on how to setup a static address. I had the same problem, and I think that was the technique that finally worked.

You'll want to reboot both your router and PC once that's complete.
budley
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:36 am    Post subject: Problem running Abyss behind a DLink router Reply with quote

I followed it to the letter. I'm running Windows XP Pro, and would like to get & stay beheid the router (DLink Di-713P) also did try a Linksys router with same problems. On one of the other BBs someone said its a problem with the routers MTU- haven't had a chance to invesgate. If anyone has knowledge of MTUs I need help in this area.

Thanks,
Bud

www.sovac.org
enko
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: lan Reply with quote

Give each machine a lan IP manually.
Justin9
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem...

I have the 5660 speedstream dsl modem/router, but i have a linksys router behind that because we have four computers on our network...
5660 modem/router --> network router -- >pc1,pc2,pc3,pc4 pc4 is my server, and it has been set to a static lan ip...

type in the ip.. goes to router... i have also already tried setting the modem and router to port fortward to my server with just port 80 as both tcp and udp, being i really don't know the difference but guessed that it should've worked with one of them....

I really don't know what needs to be set and what not... do i set the modem to forward port 80 to that pc or do i set the modem to forward to the router then let the router forward to that machine?
budley
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: Hosting thru a router Reply with quote

A great web site to view is this one:

http://dslwebserver.com/main/fr_index.html?/main/main.html

Its geared towards DSL but some stuff would apply to cable.

The way I would like to have mine is internet - modem - router - server, pc1, pc2, pc3, pc4.

However, currently it is internet - modem - server.

I cannot seam to find a good fix for this problem. I may have to go to a high end router. i have talked with the local computer shop and have done all the things they would do if they came out on a house call.

still looking for a solution, if any one could help would appericate it.

thanks,
bud

www.sovac.org
DisneyFan25863
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okeyday.....first off, if you have a dynamic IP address, sign up at http://www.dyndns.org for a static IP that points to your router. Then, go to the "Virtual Server" area of your router (if it has one. If it dosn't, then I can't help you :D), and program all "Web" traffic to go to the PC with Abyss on it. Make sure it's in TCP mode and that you are using port 80. Good luck!
Justin9
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your virtual router mode is what i think you are talking about ip forwarding... and yes I have tried that....

of course... I haven't tried messing with it at all in about a month so maybe I can start all over and see what happens
Darth Frogger
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also trying to get my server working through a router. I've tried port forwarding on 6 or 7 different ports, and the only time it's even partially worked is on port 8080, where it tried to download the address. I've even tried putting it in DMZ mode temporarily, but it still didn't work. I know I'm using the right IP to access it.

My router is a LinkSys, but I'm not sure of the exact model.
eric wyatt
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this: I have XP pro SP1, cable modem, and a linsys 4 port router, this works for me.

1. Go to linksys.com and get the newest firmware for the router

2. Open the routers properties in your browser
- Click on the status tab, write down all the info there, then close it.

3. Open up network connections from control panel
- Click local area connections -
- Double click Internet protocol (TCP/IP) to open properties.
- Select Use the following address: IP address 192.168.3
- Subnet Mask- use the number you wrote down from the router
- Default Gateway - use the number you wrote down from the router

Select Use the following DNS server addresses.
Use the routers numbers listed under DNS. I had 3 DNS numbers only the 2 lower ones worked.
Select OK, Reboot your pc.

Note: your internet connection may not work at all until after the next steps.

4. Open the router properties in your browser
- Click the Advanced Tab
- Click the Filters Tab
- Click the o DISABLE option next to SPI (port forwarding currently won't work if this is enabled)
- Click forwarding
- Click UPnP forwarding
- Add a new Application named Abyss, EXT.port 80, check TCP, INT.port 80,
IP address 192.168.1.3 and check enable
- save settings, close browser and reboot

Your web servers address should be the WAN IP address your router list on the status page. Any software firewall will have to be told to allow the connection.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: