Windows 2000!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vnar356
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Windows 2000! Reply with quote

Hey all. I have Windows 98 SE right now on my computer. Soon I'm gonna install Windows 2000 Professional with my disc. After installation, I'm buying and installing a 60 GB harddrive. I just want to know if this is a good idea, or, should I use another alternative? My computer is Pentium 3, 550 mhZ, 512 MB RAM, and I have 4 GB left on my current hard drive. Later.
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows 2000! Reply with quote

vnar356 wrote:
Hey all. I have Windows 98 SE right now on my computer. Soon I'm gonna install Windows 2000 Professional with my disc. After installation, I'm buying and installing a 60 GB harddrive. I just want to know if this is a good idea, or, should I use another alternative? My computer is Pentium 3, 550 mhZ, 512 MB RAM, and I have 4 GB left on my current hard drive. Later.

I am not sure what is your question.
Win200 P3 550MHz 512M w/60G is great for running Abyss server. If your site is VERY popular, that extra power will become very useful.

If you also have other server running on the same box and ain't that popular, then your P3 will do just fine. But if you are very popular like Bill Gate (Microsoft) or so, you may need a P4 Quad 3GHz or better for individual server or have multiple P4Quad Box to cluster / balance just for the webserver. And most importantly of all, make sure it also on multi-T3+ line.
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, your p3 550mhz should do just fine. The computer i use at work is a 500mhz p3, with 256mb ram. with windows 2000 and its just fine
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
datwig
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2K pro? Hmm... I'm using that right now but I'm going to change to ME because I think 2k will create problems. Not big problems though. 2k was made for business use and therefore there are a lot of useless security patches that you won't need. And with Microsoft's patch record, you don't even want to go NEAR patches - trust me. Millenium Edition is more for personal use, if you can, I would suggest getting ME instead of 2k. There are rumors of ME crashing though, even though I havn't experienced any problems with it yet.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

datwig wrote:
2K pro? Hmm... I'm using that right now but I'm going to change to ME because I think 2k will create problems. Not big problems though. 2k was made for business use and therefore there are a lot of useless security patches that you won't need. And with Microsoft's patch record, you don't even want to go NEAR patches - trust me. Millenium Edition is more for personal use, if you can, I would suggest getting ME instead of 2k. There are rumors of ME crashing though, even though I havn't experienced any problems with it yet.

That is very interesting. I alway suggest to Win2k over WinME without a second. If I had to choose between WinME - 98 - 95 I would choose 98 instead of WinME. I believe (IMHO / IME) WinME is one of Windows most unstable OS I have ever seen.
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard about ME being unstable.

I went to a local computer store to buy parts to build a computer with and he said I should use 98/XP and he said 98 is better (don't have to pay and no complications with registering)
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those people dealing with PC or OS, WinME will not be recommeded. Most PC Shop will avoid it as a bad plaque.

Maybe ME stand for "Most Error" or "Most Erractic" or just Millium = 2000 (bad year) Edition. This just a few comment regarding WinME.

BTW, have you heard of this = "Mother End"?
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Already Installed Reply with quote

Sorry guys, but you don't have to reply anymore. I already installed Windows 2000, towards the end of June. I did it successfully. Everything runs faster, it's just that i had to reinstall my sound card drivers, network drivers, and printer drivers. It wasn't too hard. Thanks for replying though.....
datwig
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job, but personally I think 2000 Pro isn't good. For me, it doesn't close properly. I think it's a program running in the background but the "Processes" give me nothing. Everytime I try to shutdown it gives me a explorer.exe is not responding and an END NOW option.
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

datwig wrote:
Good job, but personally I think 2000 Pro isn't good. For me, it doesn't close properly. I think it's a program running in the background but the "Processes" give me nothing. Everytime I try to shutdown it gives me a explorer.exe is not responding and an END NOW option.

Mostly like it maybe cause by Hardware. Try just have the basic (bare bone) peripheral and see if it does the same thing. Then add one item at a time and see the problem come back.
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: datwig's win2k problems Reply with quote

Not only is it hardware problems, it could be problems with the hard drive. Yo datwig, you should defrag your hard drive. Also, make yourself a standard or power user [control panel -> Users and Passwords] instead of an administrator. If you use your computer often, do this. Try scanning your hard drive for viruses also.
datwig
-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

standard/power user? What difference would it make though? I'm planning on Defraggin.. soon.
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

datwig wrote:
standard/power user? What difference would it make though? I'm planning on Defraggin.. soon.

Defrag might help. If some sort of apps or utils due to HD then maybe.
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I defragged... it didn't fix the problem: it made it worse. After I click End Now, I have to wait longer for the computer to shut down. It doesn't matter tho.
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

datwig wrote:
I defragged... it didn't fix the problem: it made it worse. After I click End Now, I have to wait longer for the computer to shut down. It doesn't matter tho.

How about just try having only the basic.
Memory
CPU
Mobo
VGA
HD

Boot-up and let Windows fully load itself. Then shutdown and see if any different. If it does for the better, add another peripheral (one at a time) until having the problem. If this is the case, your hardware maybe at fault

Also, without any thing add on and just have the basic setup of your PC. When booting, do you notice if it boot too slow or your HD is making somewhat louder or noiser when booting-up? This can be HD maybe at faut too.

Check your memeory module (stick). If you have mroe than one, try just using one at a time and see if related to the problem.
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea!! got my new computer up and runnning. Took a while but it's niiice. Exept for the built in sound on the monitor. And my games are funny. I got an LCD so there are alot of issues and stuff. sigh.
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

datwig wrote:
Yea!! got my new computer up and runnning. Took a while but it's niiice. Exept for the built in sound on the monitor. And my games are funny. I got an LCD so there are alot of issues and stuff. sigh.

Ok, that is another option to fix thing. By any chance you find out what is the cause of your problem?
Have you try narrow it down by making your PC as barebone?
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you help me I tried downloading SP4 but when the installer starts downloading files it gives me an error saying

server doesn't respond. If problems persist goto the windows 2000 service pack website and click "Problems downloading the service pack."

Problem is, I can't find the "Problems downlaoding the service pack" anywhere. Can someone point me in the right direction?
vnar356
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Site to Download Service Pack 4 Reply with quote

Yo datwig you should try checking the System requirements that microsoft gives you on this site: http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/SP4/sysreq.asp ..... if your computer is eligible to DL Service Pack 4, go here (you can choose from an Express or Network Installation. The differences are on the site itself: http://www.microsoft.com/Windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/sp4/download.asp .... Cya
datwig
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the file that's causeing me problems (Express)
vnar356
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:00 am    Post subject: network Reply with quote

then try getting the network installation.. and make urself admin
datwig
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I did that. Works fine now. My computer doesn't have any problems YET and I hope it stays that way.

I just installed AIM and it messed my computer up again. DAMN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: