My site now

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Powered by Abyss
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pigeonburger
-


Joined: 17 Sep 2020
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: My site now Reply with quote

Since I last posted here my site's traffic has increased like CRAZY! It's running only a single website on X1 and handles a HUGE load like its nothing!

To give you guys an idea of the load it handles:


I seriously couldn't be happier with it, Abyss WS for LIFE :)

I think it's crazy that your software and this website are older than me. I'll be buying X2 this weekend since I'd like to show my support and create a few more hosts :)
_________________
Pigeonburger

Twitter: @pigeonburger
Website (hosted by Abyss X2): https://pigeonburger.xyz
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
tfh
-


Joined: 03 May 2020
Posts: 58
Location: Netherlands

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less visitors, comparable requests:



I do notice the very low amount of caching of your site. So there is no speed or bandwith advantage for you, using Cloudflare. Are you using it just for security reasons?
_________________
https://www.arnauddeklerk.com
https://www.file-hunter.com
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pigeonburger
-


Joined: 17 Sep 2020
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'd rather not have my house's IP address exposed. I also would get a lot of DOS attempts and spammers in the site's early days, so Cloudflare helps with that a lot.

I cache all static pages on my site, but many users go to my site to download videos that they've edited with my tools, or to use my API, where I can't cache responses because the output has to be different each time.

Before releasing the API on my site, my cache percentage was around the same as yours I believe.

(I'd probably have A LOT less requests to my site if I got rid of the live server stats on the homepage and stuff, since it polls my server every 2 seconds to update them)

Basically any request to /api/* is uncached.

Surprisingly enough, I've noticed zero impact with the ability to use the internet on other devices in the house, I can still do online class and everything with no performance impacts, even though my upload speed is only 20mbps
_________________
Pigeonburger

Twitter: @pigeonburger
Website (hosted by Abyss X2): https://pigeonburger.xyz
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
admin
Site Admin


Joined: 03 Mar 2002
Posts: 1160

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My site now Reply with quote

pigeonburger wrote:
I seriously couldn't be happier with it, Abyss WS for LIFE :)

I think it's crazy that your software and this website are older than me. I'll be buying X2 this weekend since I'd like to show my support and create a few more hosts :)


Glad to read these great feedback about X1 and happy to know that you're upgrading to X2.

By the way, you reminded us that this site is almost 20 years old! Hopefully Abyss Web Server doesn't feel as an ancient software. It was also always meant to be a useful and durable tool. So we're very happy to know that we're still doing the right thing. ;)
_________________
Follow @abyssws on Twitter
Subscribe to our newsletter
_________________
Forum Administrator
Aprelium - https://aprelium.com
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
pigeonburger
-


Joined: 17 Sep 2020
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Glad to read these great feedback about X1 and happy to know that you're upgrading to X2.

By the way, you reminded us that this site is almost 20 years old! Hopefully Abyss Web Server doesn't feel as an ancient software. It was also always meant to be a useful and durable tool. So we're very happy to know that we're still doing the right thing. ;)


No problem! I just bought X2 so I hope it serves me well. While it has a more retro look, it doesn't feel ancient at all and I love everything about it!
_________________
Pigeonburger

Twitter: @pigeonburger
Website (hosted by Abyss X2): https://pigeonburger.xyz
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
tfh
-


Joined: 03 May 2020
Posts: 58
Location: Netherlands

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My site now Reply with quote

admin wrote:
pigeonburger wrote:
I seriously couldn't be happier with it, Abyss WS for LIFE :)

I think it's crazy that your software and this website are older than me. I'll be buying X2 this weekend since I'd like to show my support and create a few more hosts :)


Glad to read these great feedback about X1 and happy to know that you're upgrading to X2.

By the way, you reminded us that this site is almost 20 years old! Hopefully Abyss Web Server doesn't feel as an ancient software. It was also always meant to be a useful and durable tool. So we're very happy to know that we're still doing the right thing. ;)

Abyss doesn't feel old in any way. And the fact that you're working on an HTTP/2 implementation only goes to show that.
I've used X1 for a long, long time and moved to X2 last year. Couldn't be happier either, so... keep up the good work.
_________________
https://www.arnauddeklerk.com
https://www.file-hunter.com
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
admin
Site Admin


Joined: 03 Mar 2002
Posts: 1160

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigeonburger,

Thank you for ordering your copy of X2.

The retro look is probably due to its pixelized icons and color scheme. These were a good compromise during the days of HTML chaos when Web norms were almost never respected. So we had to adopt the common least denominator for all browsers and systems.

Things improved over the last years with the widespread HTML5 and the disappearance of legacy browsers (and especially the dreaded IE!).

So we expect to have newer versions adopt better look & feel with vector icons and a modern color scheme.
_________________
Follow @abyssws on Twitter
Subscribe to our newsletter
_________________
Forum Administrator
Aprelium - https://aprelium.com
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Powered by Abyss All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB phpBB Group