Abyss as a VLC streaming proxy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lazna
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Abyss as a VLC streaming proxy Reply with quote

Using VLC as a HTTP stream server and want to make streams SSL secured. Have idea to use Abyss (LetEncrypt enabled) to create "SSL proxy" for such streams. Is this possible at all? If yes, could someone experienced point me to right way to do this?

UPDATE: Just come to my mind, there is a multiple streams on multiple ports, which could make whole thing more difficult

Last edited by lazna on Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Abyss as a VLC streaming proxy Reply with quote

lazna,

In theory this is possible. You'll have to configure Abyss Web Server to act as a reverse-proxy. But with more details, we may better help you.
Forum Administrator
Aprelium - https://aprelium.com
lazna
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Abyss as a VLC streaming proxy Reply with quote

admin wrote:
lazna,

In theory this is possible. You'll have to configure Abyss Web Server to act as a reverse-proxy. But with more details, we may better help you.

Script dynamically creating VLC video streams utilize internal VLC web server. Multiple streams exists simultaneously, each stream using assigned TCP port (port numbers are dynamically assigned from specific range). Clients accessing streams from internet to its specific port number simultaneously.

Now clients connecting directly to VLC web service via HTTP. My idea is to clients establish HTTPS connection to Abyss, which strip SSL layer and redirect clients to same port on VLC web service. Both VLC and Abyss running on same machine now, in future could be separated but still reside inside of one LAN segment, so connection between VLC and Abyss could be concidered as secure.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Abyss as a VLC streaming proxy Reply with quote

lazna,

You'll have to configure VLC to server stream 1 for example on port 8000 (for example.)

In Abyss Web Server, configure a reverse-proxy for virtual path /stream1 to remote server on locallhost and port 8000 with the virtual path /.
Forum Administrator
lazna
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Abyss as a VLC streaming proxy Reply with quote

admin wrote:
lazna,

You'll have to configure VLC to server stream 1 for example on port 8000 (for example.)

In Abyss Web Server, configure a reverse-proxy for virtual path /stream1 to remote server on locallhost and port 8000 with the virtual path /.

But, as I wrote, the scripts creating VLC streams dynamically, port numbers are based on customers number prefix. The range of possibly used ports could be wide (let say up to 10000). I am able to configure such wide range of 1:1 mappings in configuration file by scripts, but question is about possible resource consumption.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Abyss as a VLC streaming proxy Reply with quote

lazna wrote:

But, as I wrote, the scripts creating VLC streams dynamically, port numbers are based on customers number prefix. The range of possibly used ports could be wide (let say up to 10000). I am able to configure such wide range of 1:1 mappings in configuration file by scripts, but question is about possible resource consumption.

This does not sound like something that can be done without a specific solution. No Web server we know of can sustain such a workload and do reverse proxy based on a dynamic approach.

We think you need a simple reverse-proxy (simple HTTP only) which will do the correct routing based on your dynamic data for ports. It will map the virtual paths to the VLC streams behind them.

This small reverse-proxy script/app will be on its turn reverse-proxied by Abyss Web Server to give SSL and security to the connections.
Forum Administrator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: