Possible end of TRUSTAbyss.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Possible end of TRUSTAbyss.com Reply with quote

EDIT: TRUSTAbyss.com and AbyssWSHelp.com has been renewed for another year! See my latest reply.

Hi Everyone,

This post is hard for me to write as I've been a supporter of this software for 16+ years. I decided I may discontinue trustabyss.com. There were plans to retire the old domain and use AbyssWSHelp.com but I find it frustrating that many of the web developer courses out there only teach the basics and never really teach the proper way to build a website. Ever since the site was created, the layout used tables and not CSS floats to position elements on the page. It's always been a guess on how to construct a website for me. Due to the lack of time or motivation anymore to continue working on the site, I decided that it might be better to discontinue it. For now, I will just take it one day at a time. The domain is set to expire on August 31, 2021. For those interested, the AWS:MRT (Abyss Web Server: Mod Rewrite Translator) source code and many of the scripts that myself and others have created can be downloaded here.

Thank you Aprelium for creating a great web server software and for the personal card you sent me for beta testing it. I still have the card to this very day and it will be a keepsake for the rest of my life. I wish you all the best in your success. 2020 was a crazy year and hopefully 2021 will be a better year for all of us. If you need to reach out to me, you can follow me on twitter @josh_hesseman

Take care and have a Happy New Year!

Best regards,

Joshua Hesseman (TRUSTAbyss)

Last edited by TRUSTAbyss on Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:22 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible end of TRUSTAbyss.com Reply with quote

TRUSTAbyss,

This is very sad for us and for the community. You've been one of the main forces behind the user community of Abyss Web Server and we've always valued your time, your support and your help.

How could we help with maintaining/archiving your Web site?
Forum Administrator
Aprelium - https://aprelium.com
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
pigeonburger
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the full site myself via wget (my user-agent was "pigeonburger", sorry if it put strain on your site.) and I think I have archived everything, but let me know if I missed anything (the link to it on my site is below).

I have the site up on my website here: https://pigeonburger.xyz/trustabyss and I'm more than happy to keep running it there! All the files on it are pretty small so I have no problem with running it.

It's also all in a zip file on my website, and you can download it here if someone else wants to host it on a proper domain.

Also thanks for all your hard work over the years! Many people, including myself appreciate your work, and it's totally understandable.

Let me know if you make any changes to the site before the domain expires or if you've decided to keep it going after all!
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to post an update and let everyone know I decided to keep the site. I just need some time to develop my skills and hope to find that time. I work nights so my off nights are very boring. Keeping the website will keep me busy during this time period. I still have a Linkedin Learning membership so plenty of videos out there to help strengthen my web developer skills. It's easy to give up on this stuff when you know very little about the technology. Sure I know some HTML, JavaScript, and PHP but I just never took it to the next level. I'm prepared to take it to the next level. Abyss Web Server has always been my choice of software and I can't see myself abandoning it because of my lack of motivation to push myself to do better.

AbyssWSHelp.com has been renewed for another year. Please provide any resources you may have that can help me learn better web developer skills. Any recommendations would be nice.

Best regards,

Josh Hesseman (TRUSTAbyss)
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigeonburger wrote:
I downloaded the full site myself via wget (my user-agent was "pigeonburger", sorry if it put strain on your site.) and I think I have archived everything, but let me know if I missed anything (the link to it on my site is below).

I have the site up on my website here: https://pigeonburger.xyz/trustabyss and I'm more than happy to keep running it there! All the files on it are pretty small so I have no problem with running it.

It's also all in a zip file on my website, and you can download it here if someone else wants to host it on a proper domain.

Also thanks for all your hard work over the years! Many people, including myself appreciate your work, and it's totally understandable.

Let me know if you make any changes to the site before the domain expires or if you've decided to keep it going after all!

Thank you for doing that but that will not be necessary. I decided to keep AbyssWSHelp.com which will be the successor of TRUSTAbyss.com eventually. Feel free to keep the web content you downloaded including the source code to AWS:MRT project. I don't know what the future holds but I will try and work on this stuff more often. It's better than watching TV lol. I feel I failed this community. I promised so many things and never kept those promises. I'm willing to make up for my broken promises and start getting things going again.

Last edited by TRUSTAbyss on Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
pigeonburger
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRUSTAbyss wrote:
Thank you for doing that but that will not be necessary. I decided to keep AbyssWSHelp.com which will be the successor of TRUSTAbyss.com eventually. Feel free to keep the web content you downloaded including the source code to AWS:MRT project. I don't know what the future holds but I will try and work on this stuff more often. It's better than watching TV lol. I feel I failed this community. I promised so many things and never kept those promises. I'm willing to make up for my broken promises and start getting these going again.

Hi, that's great news! Can't wait to see where your site goes from here. Have a great day!
tfh
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news that you are keeping the site. It has been a great resource to me. Especially your .htaccess convertscript is absolutely fantastic.
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be purchasing a VPS subscription soon to host my website on a Linux box running Abyss Web Server (latest version). Currently reviewing courses on setting up a Linux environment. I already know some basic Linux but just need to fill in a few gaps like securing it, updates, and setting the firewall settings. FYI: the domain TRUSTAbyss.com will stay but it will eventually redirect to the all-new AbyssWSHelp.com. I have BIG plans and it's good to be back!

Edit: We have a host! My dedicated server has been setup to host the new website and is running Ubuntu Linux. Will be hosting content very soon!
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRUSTAbyss,

It's great to read that you've decided not to shutdown TRUSTAbyss.com.

If you have any questions regarding the Linux VPS setup, please let us know and we'll do our best to help you set it up.

If it's only for Web hosting on Abyss Web Server, you usually don't need too much customization. A bare Linux server distribution (Debian or Ubuntu server for example) will suffice.
Forum Administrator
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I decided on a dedicated server and it's going to be on an Ubuntu Linux distribution. Currently looking at Linux shell scripting and will then move on to Linux Administration. I got the basics down, just need to know how to create a user, set their path, configure sudoers etc. It's a challenge but it's been fun. I can only work on this stuff on my off nights but it will eventually come together. Thank you for supporting the site. I plan on improving it very soon.
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new AbyssWSHelp.com and soon to be retired TRUSTAbyss.com is now live!
Running Abyss Web Server X2 v2.14 Linux (Ubuntu Server)

https://www.trustabyss.com
https://www.abysswshelp.com
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRUSTAbyss,

Congratulations for making the sites "live" again. Thank you for all your efforts and your continuous involvement with the support of Abyss Web Server.
Forum Administrator
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome! :-)

Abyss Web Server keeps me busy and I like helping out the Aprelium community. I'm new to managing Linux systems so this will be a nice learning experience for me as well.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRUSTAbyss,

Hopefully the Linux landscape is less fragmented today than it was a decade or more ago. So we can safely assume what commands and tools are installed when suggesting solution or recommending a particular setup.

And feel free to let us know if you have any questions about Linux and its environment. It will be our pleasure to help. ;)
Forum Administrator
cliffjackie369
-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRUSTAbyss wrote:
The new AbyssWSHelp.com and soon to be retired TRUSTAbyss.com is now live!
Running Abyss Web Server X2 v2.14 Linux (Ubuntu Server)

https://www.trustabyss.com/employee monitoring
https://www.abysswshelp.com

thanks for revitalizing the sites and fixing bugs! thanks for the job!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: