leveraging FastCGI -- How?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccs
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: leveraging FastCGI -- How? Reply with quote

I was glad to see the addition of FastCGI to Abyss (so much so that I renewed my license for another year!) However, my understanding is limited to what it offers, not really how to make it work.

I have a number of sites with custom written CGI apps (windows exex) that work great but can always benefit from a performance boost. One site in particular is used to schedule pick ups and deliveries so the CGI application is called about 6 times (once for each page) for each schedule. There are lots of schedules during the day so I'd really like to optimize this app specifically.

I have read through the FastCGI references on the web, but nothing seems to tell me what is different (from a programming perspective) from a normal CGI and a FastCGI application. Whenever I get to a section that talks about implementing it, the source always refers me to my web server host (me) or the documentation that came with the web server software.

So, can anyone tell me:

1. What needs to be coded to make a "normal" CGI application run as a "fastCGI" one.
  2. Beyond the application programming, what is needed to be done in order to have the CGI application run in "fast" mode.

Thanks![/list]
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In answer to questions 1 and 2: Nothing!

All you need to change is the configuration in Abyss Web Server and your php applications will run in fastCGI.

Fast CGI simply works by keeping the php.exe open until it times out as per the value in the Abyss console or it receives a request (then the timer is reset).

Normal CGI however simply closes php.exe once the request is done, meaning it has to load again next time there is a request, slowing it down. If it doesnt close it doesnt need to open again.
ccs
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks.

Is it the same for WinCGI (Compiled executables)? That's all I use.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccs wrote:
Ok, thanks.

I dont know. You can try it and see. Aprelium will know more about this than me.
ccs
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I appreciate the help.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. :-)
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccs wrote:
Ok, thanks.

All depends on what you are referring to by WinCGI. WinCGI used to be a very slow method of passing arguments to applications (using files) to have them generate dynamic pages. It was popular before 1997-98 when Windows was still not ready for heavy TCP/IP traffic and servers.

WinCGI is not supported in Abyss Web Server but you can still use a CGI2WinCGI adapter if you feel the need to use a WinCGI application.

But if you mean by WinCGI a native .exe which is able to communicate with the server using CGI or FastCGI, then the answer is yes. For Abyss Web Server using such a .exe is not different from running php.exe (or php-cgi.exe) in CGI or FastCGI mode.

If you are targetting a specific language to write your CGI/FastCGI .exe, let us know and we'll help you find the libraries that may reduce your development time.
CoastResearch
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1# What needs to be coded to make a "normal" CGI application run as a "fastCGI" one.
2# Beyond the application programming, what is needed to be done in order to have the CGI application run in "fast" mode.

Very common questions.

please see:
http://www.coastrd.com/faq
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> FastCGI/CGI All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: