Using localhost

View previous topic :: View next topic  
James Cook
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Using localhost Reply with quote

In setting up and testing sites, I can set localhost as the Host Name for any site and readily access that site while working on the server itself.

That only works for one site at a time though, and requires that I change it in order to test another site. It would be very convenient to have a local access for each site saved and available at any time.

Is there anything I can add to localhost in order to make it an alternate access to any of the sites on the server?
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Using localhost Reply with quote

James Cook wrote:
In setting up and testing sites, I can set localhost as the Host Name for any site and readily access that site while working on the server itself.

That only works for one site at a time though, and requires that I change it in order to test another site. It would be very convenient to have a local access for each site saved and available at any time.

Is there anything I can add to localhost in order to make it an alternate access to any of the sites on the server?

I don't know what OS you are using. But if it's windows, you can use the windows hosts file to bypass normal DNS and point the URL's you wish to localhost.
You can then just use the normal hostnames in Abyss and setup your hosts file like:

127.0.0.1 domain1.com
127.0.0.1 domain2.com
127.0.0.1 sub.donain2.com

For Windows you can find an explanation here:
https://www.liquidweb.com/kb/edit-host-file-windows-10/

You will need the X2 version of Abyss to host multiple sites though.
James Cook
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's helpful and solved the problem perfectly.

I do have a full and up to date license for Abyss as well for this development server. Gotta take care of Aprelium and keep them in business.

In hosts I actually entered the domains with a .local instead of .com or .org. As a result, in a browser I can enter domain.local as the URL to keep it local, or I can use the actual .com URL to hit the site via an internet connection.

Of course, that required an additional Host Name entry in the Abyss configuration, but it's well worth it for my needs.

Thanks again!

Last edited by James Cook on Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: