Is there anyway to have an error log produced?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
madman71
-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Is there anyway to have an error log produced? Reply with quote

Subject says it all. Im trying to figure out why when users try to download files there's either a very long delay before the download dialog box pops up or there's 404 error (I think it's 404, i cant remember now)and the site is unresponsive. Is there anywhere i can get Abyss to produce an error log?

Im guessing right now that when this happens the server is being hit pretty hard with requests for downloads. This is just a hunch though.

thanks guys

v. X1 - 2.5 Abyss
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there anyway to have an error log produced? Reply with quote

madman71,

The long delay could be a browser issue (this is something that could occur with IE). It could also mean that your server is overloaded or that your bandwidth is fully used (so packets could take a long time ot reach the server and travel back to the client).

But we're not sure what kind of error you'd like to report? 404 errors could be easily reported and logged by Abyss Web Server but connection slowdowns cannot be detected by the server.
zeltus
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Me too! Reply with quote

Yes, I'll second this request.

As for "what sort of errors" - well, Apache (the de facto standard, but as user-friendly as a cornered rat, as the cliche goes) allows a wide range of error reporting - but the default is jsut fine..

it reports badly formed requests (i.e. requests for imagees or files that jsut plain don't exist), php errors (unless the user (tha'ts me!) specifically tells php to display them within the page) and timeout errors (took to long to get a reply, giving up) errors.

In fact, I'm afraid, as my production server is a basic LAMP set-up, I may have to look at installing a WAMP set-up for my local development and testing.

Unless the Dev Team can give me hope of Abyss, an otherwise truly excellent package, offering this in the near future?

Cheers

Bill
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
alastairalbien
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Is there anyway to have an error log produced? Reply with quote

This could be mainly because of the distance between the server and the requesting PC. The data has to travel for long distance. Probably the data may suffer loss because of this. If the traffic ti your site is god enough, you can probably get another server somewhere nearer to the targeted visitors location.

madman71 wrote:
Subject says it all. Im trying to figure out why when users try to download files there's either a very long delay before the download dialog box pops up or there's 404 error (I think it's 404, i cant remember now)and the site is unresponsive. Is there anywhere i can get Abyss to produce an error log?

Im guessing right now that when this happens the server is being hit pretty hard with requests for downloads. This is just a hunch though.

thanks guys

v. X1 - 2.5 Abyss

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: