Machine overheat crashes Abyss

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnie
-

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Machine overheat crashes Abyss Reply with quote

Hi. I've installed Abyss on a touchscreen webkiosk. The whole system is under the sun most of the time, resulting in some times to be overheated. This seems to crash Abyss, because after extensive tests i've made to the application under normal conditions, Abyss never crashed (way to go Abyss :-)

The problem is that due to lack of monitoring of the system, i can't restart Abyss when i need it. I tried Task Scheduler with a repetive task of starting Abyss every 2 hours but i get warnings of Abyss already running when it's not crashed and the task tries to start it.

Any ideas. Abyss as a service?

Something not very relevant ot Abyss but relevant to the problem. The options of windows services to recover them in case of failure, append to the failure to start the service OR in the case that they crash?

Thanks,
John
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
os17fan
-

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some times even when you don't seee the abyss icon its still running and that could be a problem if you try to start it again

go to http://localhost/ is your site running , if it is then abyss is still running even though you cannot see the icon in the task bar 8)
-

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abyss is not running for sure.
s1asher
-

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I know what you're getting at.
You want a way to restart the server automatically if it goes down?
If yes, then theres software out there that will do it for you.
Firstly, you may want to think about setting Abyss to run as a service. A tutorial on this is located here.

Two examples of these programs I was talking about are:
A1 Monitor (free trial for 45 days, then its $119.00 >.<)
ServerAlive (free for up to 10 servers)

I don't know much on the configuration of these, but I do know that they allow you to run a program/restart a service if the server does not respond. They are also able to alert you that the server is not working via email, page, etc.
Hope this has helped!
s1asher
Johnie
-

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks s1asher i'll try it
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Machine overheat crashes Abyss Reply with quote

May be the solution is in http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1221&highlight= .
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnie wrote:
Hi. I've installed Abyss on a touchscreen webkiosk. The whole system is under the sun most of the time, resulting in some times to be overheated. This seems to crash Abyss, because after extensive tests i've made to the application under normal conditions, Abyss never crashed (way to go Abyss :-)

The problem is that due to lack of monitoring of the system, i can't restart Abyss when i need it. I tried Task Scheduler with a repetive task of starting Abyss every 2 hours but i get warnings of Abyss already running when it's not crashed and the task tries to start it.

Any ideas. Abyss as a service?

Something not very relevant ot Abyss but relevant to the problem. The options of windows services to recover them in case of failure, append to the failure to start the service OR in the case that they crash?

Thanks,
John

John,
If I understand your problem correctly, you can run Windows 2k/NT4/XP and have Abyss auto start it service when it boot up. The previous Abyss version do not but the latest X1 can auto service. The FireDaemon is a service manager to load any program or utils to run as a service but should not be nescessary in Abyss case.

You can do the following Windows 2K / XP, you can set in "User and Passwords" to check or disable >> User must enter a user name and password to use this computer << and select an account or a user to auto login each time the PC BOX is loading. You just need to make sure your PC auto powerup and load when power back up.

What I have for the following to start any of my Server either a Webserver, FTP, EMail, DNS, RPC server:
1. Install server like Abyss, email etc... on a administrator right or level.
2. Set the account to auto load in > User and Passwords < .
3. Set your MoBo to enable "Power Recovery" or "Restart" or siimlar.
4. Use a UPS for backup when power-loss (optional).
5. You can set your Windows screensaver to pasword enable at your desire time.

Note: UPS will sustain up-time depending on it backup battery and the load you have on it. If you have like just the PC Box only with 1200AV, it may stay up for atleast 1Hrs or so... without any interruption or downtime for your server.

This setup normally should work for anyone that have a server box running.

BTW, you do not suppose to have any Server box in direct sunlight that will cause or generate heat issue. It will not be good for any PC, actually.

PS... Since I never use Webkiosk or know what it is about but if I assume correctly, it should be the same as Windows 2K/XP base due to service function.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: