Improving Server Speed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toasty
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Improving Server Speed Reply with quote

I recently upgraded my server from this configuration:

Dell PowerEdge 2300
2x 500 MHz PIII
1GB Ram
3, 30GB RAID 5 array
Win 2K Professional

To this:
1x AMD Athalon 64 X2 2.6 GHz
2GB RAM
40GB IDE Drive
Win 2K Server

Of course there's a HUGE increase in speed seeing as I use MySQL and PHP alongside Abyss X2. I am curious what the current version of Abyss (2.6) can support hardware wise (not only by means of WORKING on the hardware, I mean actually utilizing the hardware as well). I'm not sure if multiple processor balancing is actually handled by Abyss, or if it is more so done by the OS the system is on.

What I would like to get in the future:
AMD Quad-Core x.x GHz
8GB RAM
80 GB x 4 RAID 5 Array (SATA)
Win 2003 Server 64-Bit (if such a thing exists), or use Win XP 64-Bit.

Can Abyss actually use four cores? I know that you need a 64-bit OS to use anything over 4 GB Ram, that's why it's my goal. I also heard that there was a version of 64-bit Abyss X2 Beta around somewhere? I'm curious how I'd get a copy, etc.

Any advise on how a large OS or large hardware change can crank even more out would be dandy.

My old server processor loads were in excess of 30% at times, whereas the new server rarely (if ever) goes over 2% ... Does this mean my hardware is already as high as it needs?

Sorry if this post is long, just curious about what I can do should my sites get bigger.

Regards,
-Toasty
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Abyss will use the 4 cores, but only if the OS has it. I'm assuming Abyss makes threads to accept and handle connections, which then the OS would move around.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Toasty
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard the other day when looking at the prices of a quad core processor that software hasn't been developed yet to support it. I also heard that Intel is working towards 8 cores, which is pretty cool.

I would suppose that anything Vista or newer would theoretically support a quad-core processor, seeing as it wasn't far in the horizon when Vista was released.

Thanks for the feed back, wasn't sure if it was application based, or OS based.
-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toasty wrote:
Thanks for the feed back, wasn't sure if it was application based, or OS based.
Well, its both. Single-threaded programs won't see any benefit from multiple cores (other than that they might get an entire core to themselves). A web server is generally multi-threaded (it would have to be...otherwise it would only accept one connection at a time). So, Abyss will benefit from more cores. But I think what would benefit more from a better processor are the other programs such as MySQL and PHP that are working alongside each request.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Karapaz
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Improving Server Speed Reply with quote

I experience the same... This afternoon did a test playing with the PROFile mode, then went to the MODE page, played with the CI, first CI=35, then back to 10 which caused the speed to increase up to the overspeed bar.
Also the FLPN page says .73 but actually PROF uses .7?? .745, .76 etc something else.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ICQ Number
salvadori
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can i have 2gb ram if my motherboard support 2gb ram maximum ? i mean is too much or it will be work fine ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: