I have a question,and need some help...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiroth10
-

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: I have a question,and need some help... Reply with quote

rhis probably hasnt been asked yet,but I have gotten a subdomain to redirect to my IP address,and all works fine.the question is can abyss host games?I am using it to host special events for my main site(seeing im not always on the web because I have dial-up :roll: )I needed a server mainly to host special chats,games,and related stuff...(i.e. I made a game and people can dial to the server to play,or people can visit through their browser to a chat.)otherwise this is a great server!same as apache,but much easier to understand and use...(hmm...I never did get apache running did I...lol)not to mention it has a great comprehensive help file!thanks in advance.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
s1asher
-

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abyss is only a web server. If you want to host games, then you will need to find a server program for that game (some games have them built in)
s1asher
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are talking about like UnReal Tourament or similar, I believe it better if you have a Cable or DSL and or ISDN type of connection. The only thing dial-up can do is probably IM or AIM stuff like that which you are connecting to the main server from the remote when you login. Beside, I don't think you or your friend would like playing a game on a dialup which will be at a crawl.

BTW, ISDN is possible but not recommended IMHO. To have a good server, your UpStream should be atleast 768K. Anything lower is ok but not too enjoyable. The latency *IS* the biggest enemy in GAME.

PS - Better to have a stable or constant bandwith and not those fluctuate type. You know the kind. :D
-

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever seen those lame javascript games at www.dynamicdrive.com their cool for dial -up :D lol
-

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

os17fan wrote:
Have you ever seen those lame javascript games at www.dynamicdrive.com their cool for dial -up :D lol

Oh I see. :oops: I miss-understood. I thought of those like UTA, Tribe / 2, Simulator 2, RA2 and many other etc.... Mine running 1.2/768K which can barely serve 15 user concurrently. I had to have another separate connection for other uses. :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: