can't use port 80

View previous topic :: View next topic  
somn
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: can't use port 80 Reply with quote

I got Abyss installed and configured, but fought with it for some time because I could only view my site internally. After I changed ports to 8080, it works both internally and externally, but of course I'd rather it simply run over port 80. I'm using XP Pro, SP3 on a static IP and have both an FTP and VNC server running without any problems, but if I change the routing back to port 80 in my router and in the web server config, it acts like the computer can't be seen from the outside.

Any suggestions? Is there any way to see if there's something running that's using port 80 on this pc?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Moxxnixx
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use CurrPorts to see what ports all running processes are using.
Is it possible that your ISP could be blocking port 80?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
anybody
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could also be settings in your router. Most routers these days have built in firewalls and some routers have far to many options (features) then what is necessary. What is the point of your router blocking incoming traffic after you've already opened the port to allow it? It is really retarded.

I was using a linksys but it died on me so I got my self a netgear router. I opened the ports needed for all of my traffic to get through the router to different servers I have set up and suddenly I couldn't access any of my sites from my web server, I couldn't access my FTP server, and I stopped getting emails from my eMail server. I disabled two options in the firewall settings of my netgear and it all started working again.

I had far more complications with that retarded netgear then I ever did with my linksys so I ditched my netgear and got my self another linksys router.
somn
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your help. I'm on Verizon, and after a little digging found out that they do block inbound port 80 on their residential service. And even if they didn't, I'm using the Verizon-branded-Actiontek modem/router combo, and it wouldn't surprise me if it tried to block it as well.
NICKS22
-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard several people say that they have some problem or the other after they got the Abyss installed and configured which is really strange!! As suggested, I am sure that it must be because of one of the reasons suggested here!! It must be really frustrating to have such problems but good thing that you were able to identify what the problem was though I don’t know why they should block the inbound port 80 on their residential service in the first place!!
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an issue that we hear time and again about the routers being blocked by the firewalls and us having a tough time trying ti find out what the problem is!! If this happens to me now, the first thing I do is to check the settings on my router and most times I’ve been able to solve the problem!!
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: port 80 blocked Reply with quote

usually on all routers by default port 80 is never locked. This problem could be due to router misconfiguration I would double check all router settings then proceed.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: