Where to Install Abyss?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heval
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Where to Install Abyss? Reply with quote

I have two harddrive in my pc. The operating system and Program Files are installed on C. A friend told me that for security reasons, it is better if I install Abyss web server on D drive instead of C.

I would like to know if that is true or not?

Thanks for help.

Heval
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Toasty
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may add a tiny layer of added security, but it wouldn't be too much. If somebody were able to access your file system, it wouldn't be hard to traverse to the C:

It also doesn't hurt to do this either -- really up to personal opinion.
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that is really any added security. With proper permissions set, it shouldn't matter where you keep Abyss or your htdocs. I keep mine on my 2nd partition just for more space and organization.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anybody
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

install it on the c drive.

if your server is open to the net it is vulnerable to anyone persistent enough to crack it open. any development team for any project that claims to be "bullet proof" has been cracked. It all depends on if your capable of repairing your system after it has been cracked open.

There are programs out there that will block programs from being started or replaced. Windows has Data Execution Prevention (DEP). There are other programs out there with application behavior control.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
pkSML
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Where to Install Abyss? Reply with quote

Heval wrote:
I have two harddrive in my pc. The operating system and Program Files are installed on C. A friend told me that for security reasons, it is better if I install Abyss web server on D drive instead of C.

I would like to know if that is true or not?

Hmmmm... Honestly, most home web servers aren't that busy where hackers are trying to crack them, but that may depend on what's publicly available on your site.

Personally, I install Abyss on drive D. I also keep all data there. That way, if I have to reinstall the OS, it will be a breeze. I had my OS drive crash just a few weeks ago, and I'm glad I didn't lose a single setting on Abyss or my whole website!

As for security, most of your "crackability" will come from a scripting language rather than the server itself. The server is VERY secure. I've been running Abyss for years and never had an issue there. But PHP and Perl have access to your entire filesystem. That's where vulnerability opens up. I suggest googling PHP or Perl security. Also, be careful what scripts are on your site!

http://CodeBin.yi.org
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with pkSML. I do the other partion/drive thing too for that reason. OS reinstalls are really quick.

Also, keep things like FTP servers and MySQL secured well if you use them.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: