Is my server not powerful enough?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
madman71
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Is my server not powerful enough? Reply with quote

Here's my situation. I currently run Abyss on my home system to offer large video downloads. I post the links to the videos on my forum on my paid hosting site. Abyss is basically only a video server. No HTML pages are offered on it.

Here's my server stats:

1.6 gig processor
768Mb of ram
Windows XP
connection: Fios(fiber) 15up/15down

What im and others are experiencing is when we click the download link to one of the video files there is maybe a 30sec delay before the download box pops up. This does not happen a lot, however I think my server may have have enough memory to deliver files to a few users at once.

Do you think that 768mb of RAM is not enough if there are a few users download from my abyss server? I know it's not much, and i plan on going to 2 gigs in a week or so. I just want to know if this upgrade will help the stalling.

edit: i should also add that the abyss control panel is awful slow responding when a few users are downloading.

thanks
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
sschaer
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

assume 10 users are downloading movies.

then check :
- what is the cpu usage then ?
- what is the memory consumption ?

i assume it's a i/o thing aka slow disk.

one of my pc's is connected to a san storage thru 1gbit fibre channel. starting several copy jobs almost kills the system because the i/o becomes too slow.

www.sschaer.org
www.cp-forum.net
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
olly86
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is more likely to do with your available upload speed. It is probably around 256kbps, which is probably why the initial connection takes a long to initialise.
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

olly86 wrote:
The problem is more likely to do with your available upload speed. It is probably around 256kbps, which is probably why the initial connection takes a long to initialise.

Thanks everyone

Olly, i dont think it's a upload issue. I have a very fast fiber connection. 15 up and 15 down

I'll look into the CPU usage the next time it happens. I do notice that there is some more than usual noise coming from my HDD when this happens. It's a SATA drive.
c0r2ar0
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what madman71 had found is exactly the same problem that we are experiencing with Abyss!!

We have a server with this configuration:

AMD Athlon64 X2 5600+
2 Gb RAM
2 HDU 300 Gb 10000rpm in RAID1
10 Mbps internet connection in a webfarm

We use Abyss X2 2.5 for about 1 year and we are experiencing very slow performance when opening some websites we host and when that happens the Abyss administration page opens REALLY slow.

We host about 70 domains with 3 configured hosts each.

We are thinking about migrating to Windows 2008 Web Server Edition using IIS 7.0, we've done some testing and it works great!

Anyway we are sad to think about leaving Abyss because worked perfectly in one year of service!

Best regards,
Paolo
swissboney3
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not surprised...70 domains over 3 hosts, on a 10mbps connection...ideally you need a 100mbps connection and have the domains spread over at least 2 servers becasue if you have a lot of traffic then it is putting too much load onto the server and its connection.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
c0r2ar0
-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm... I'm sorry but I don't agree with you.
We are starting using the same server with a Virtual Machine with Windows 2008 Web Server and it rocks!! With the same domains and hosts number the bandwidth is always great!

Talking with our ISP that keeps our server they said that they own about 140-150 domains with 3 hosts per server and they never had a problem. They use Linux with Apache or Windows 2003 Web Server with IIS 6.

Anyway I think Abyss is always a very good web server.

Best regards,
Paolo
etorvinen
-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Speed Up Abyss And Excution Time Reply with quote

If you can get to Task Manager and in the processes tab.

Then right click a process then Set Priority.

You can easily speed up the execute time.

here is a list of processes i modified...

abyssws.exe set at Above normal
php-cgi.exe set at Above normal
perl.exe set at Above normal
mysqld-nt.exe set at Above normal

mysqld-nt.exe is MySQL 5

You can probably set abyssws.exe to real time.

Hope it helps.
-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see allot of vague statements here.

I do know that your ISP has a massive cluster of computers. I also know that larger web hosting companies like powweb.com spends a tremendous amount of time bouncing websites around on their servers. They also provide dedicated servers for those websites that get far to much traffic.

The point is they don't waist any time trading web server software to fix the problem. They ether fix it or they'll move the website that is causing the problem to another not so populated server or even move the website to a dedicated server.

Do you really think that every time you visit google.com that it is the same server that brings up every visitor's search results? I can guarantee you that google.com gets far far far more traffic then everyone here using abyss and all of their websites combined.

I've said far to much here. The point is to find the website/s causing the problem and move it/them to a different server.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: