4 gets then nothing??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ragtop
-

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: 4 gets then nothing?? Reply with quote

Ok - All is well locally ( isn't it always). I am running a Vigor 2600 Router. This gives three layers of opening up the server to the internet. Port 80 only, a range of ports or wide open.

I have tried them all.

Strangely enough the wider the window the less HTML gets back.

My aplication stalls when trying to respond to both a modem and a broadband external request after at most 4 HTML gets ats the server end.

Complete zilch I could unfderstand, but a partial send back? Beats me. Anyone out there got any ideas? Have I got a delay wrong?

------------
Frustrated of Windsor
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 gets then nothing?? Reply with quote

Ragtop wrote:
Ok - All is well locally ( isn't it always). I am running a Vigor 2600 Router. This gives three layers of opening up the server to the internet. Port 80 only, a range of ports or wide open.

I have tried them all.

Strangely enough the wider the window the less HTML gets back.

My aplication stalls when trying to respond to both a modem and a broadband external request after at most 4 HTML gets ats the server end.

Complete zilch I could unfderstand, but a partial send back? Beats me. Anyone out there got any ideas? Have I got a delay wrong?

------------
Frustrated of Windsor

Try raising the Timeout parameter to something more than the default 10 seconds in Console > Server Config > Advanced > Server Parameters.
Ragtop
-

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried it - no dice. I will ty it again though just in case.....Hang on
Ragtop
-

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - this time as well. Lookingback at the logs I have seen as many as 6 gets before it locks out.

I wonder if it my ISP choking the port 80 strings?

The only other thing may be the DNS provider. I am using dyndns.org they look OK, humm. Maybe I should change them. Hang on another mo....

Last edited by Ragtop on Sun May 11, 2003 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ragtop
-

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. First time I used dyndns.org, second time no-ip.com. Both resolve OK but both stall.

FYI I am dialing in on a modem to check the system out. That way there is no confusion on my ISP link.

Any Ideas anyone?

Works like a charm locally. Bat out of hell really.

Last edited by Ragtop on Sun May 11, 2003 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ragtop
-

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I even changed my web server - you will be uhappy to know :cry: Tried KFWebserver. Interesting beast. Handles multiple web sites from a single IP address.

Still - Same problem.

So It must be ISP or Router dependent. I am betting on the ISP. The router is sound.

I will post the solution once I have it. But if anyone can beat me to the punch I would apreciate it.
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be either ISP or the router. To narrow it down if it the ISP, try using a different crazy port like port 67890 that normally do not get block by your ISP. If it still have problem, then that is a be strange.... then I will be looking at the router. Check if it have any FAQ from the manufacturer and see if it have update firmware or so. If no firmware, try testing another router like from your friend or test it with another from BestBuy / Frys or any local store and see if it will work. BTW, make sure you can return it if not the router issue but if it is, just keep it to replace the current one. :D

When every router have the same result, check your NIC. It may have minor problem. Also try turning Off / On your router, it maybe line noise. :D
-

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Cap.

Tried turning the router off and on - no dice. I will be trying the whole setup again tomorrow on another PC with same Router and Same ISP but at a different location using different Kit. That should tell em a lot.

In the short term I had to spend $$$ and serve my web from a server farm. I just ran out of time.

Still hoefull of getting this going though. Will post when I geta solution.

BTW, using a different port would require the user to append the port onto URL would it not? Do you now of any way of hiding this?
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BTW, using a different port would require the user to append the port onto URL would it not? Do you now of any way of hiding this?

Yes, you can use FRAME redirect from your DOMAIN that you manage :D If you using one of those Register Domain that use the old fashion way, then you will need to use two line. First line will point to the URL with the PORT and the next line will cover cover it and the browser will see that last URL. :D Do you get it? If you have a good Registrar DOMAIN, it may have a feature will just only show your DOMAIN url. 8)
-

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that I will give it a try if at the second location we have no joy. :D
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for that I will give it a try if at the second location we have no joy.

Please inform us what your status. Your situation is very strange. :?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: