Disabling Mass Downloading

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart
-

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Disabling Mass Downloading Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to prevent someone from using Webcow on your site.

I followed a pile of entries in the server log and found that they all led to a location for this program and another one called ETC.

I downloaded the program and it seems that anyone can download all the files on your site without even visiting the site. It bypasses passwords too.

I've tried disabling the IP address on the Firewall but no effect.

The guy's trying to download 30 files at a time and crippling the site.

The only solution I've got is to shut the server down. I've tried a web search but no luck.

Any ideas anyone?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I downloaded the program and it seems that anyone can download all the files on your site without even visiting the site. It bypasses passwords too.
8O
When you indicate "passwords" do you mean your page password? If they know the location of the file or so, they simply make a link to it from their site and anyone want it will get it. :D If I assume correctly, your "Auto Indexing" from Abyss is set to YES. Which mean, I can goto your site and browse your listing. Which I can bypass your Webpages just see your listing and just simply get it. Or if it is set to NO for "Auto Indexing" then I would assume that the link to the file is set on someone page. Possible simple solution for you......
1. If you have your Abyss set to "Auto Indexing" to "Yes", turn if off and change your folder / directory to something else or just rename it.
2. Set your Abyss from ACCESS to "Allow to" for your folder and set in a USER or Group that can be access to.

Quote:
The guy's trying to download 30 files at a time and crippling the site.

You can set your concurrent to whatever you want. :D

Quote:
I've tried disabling the IP address on the Firewall but no effect.

You can not simply disable the IP from your Firewall [BOX / software]. Anyone clicking on the link will have a different IP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: