Reverse Proxy issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moonwalker
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reverse Proxy issue Reply with quote

I have a feeling the resolution to this isn't going to be simple but here goes:

I have a php scripted site set up on a back end Xampp server. It is this way because it is for personal and family use only and it is not compatible with Abyss. I have set up reverse proxy that seemed to work at first, but now Abyss is randomly throwing 505 server errors sometimes when logging into the script, and sometimes just when clicking links.

I am brand new to reverse proxies so I have no clue where to begin troubleshooting this issue, and no idea if it is something needing to be changed in the Apache back end, or there are additional changes like http headers that must be set in Abyss. Here's my setup:

Running Abyss on Mac High Sierra
Xampp is on Windows 10

Settings for reverse proxy as follows:

Virtual paths set and work always on the first request, only throws 505 (Abyss) when further requests are made, but sometimes I can log in, sometimes I can open further links, and often I get 505. The script is full of forms so I'm not sure yet if trying to submit forms with ever work correctly. I've done a submit once and that was the first 505 error. Need to test further to see if that is always the case.

Both "fix urls" settings are on.
No extra request headers are set.

Any help on where to begin looking for what's causing the 505 errors?

EDIT: I don't know if this might be a clue. Images on the pages are not loading either, but are displaying "https:[local/path]" instead.

Also good news. i was able to create a user on the site through the proxy. Interesting... so it doesn't fail on every form submission.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Moonwalker
-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ideas?

I am noticing an interesting pattern. It appears that 505 errors are mainly appearing the first time a page is loaded, or a php action is invoked, such as running a setup script or saving a user. Once I ran a set up script and got a 505 error but when I checked the server itself the installation had run successfully and the next time I tried accessing the app through Abyss there was no error. If this is the way it's going to be I can live with it since only a few people will be using the app, but it would be nice to know why it's happening and if there is a solution for future apps I may want to set up for larger audiences.

Is this related to the fact that I have Abyss serving SSL only and the other server is not? Also, the only way I can get it to work at all right now is leave the reverse proxy setting for SSL off. At the moment whenever I get the 505 error I just refresh the page and it loads fine.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonwalker,

Abyss Web Server reverse proxy does not generate Error 505. So this error is probably generated by the XAMPP backed.

Error 505 means "HTTP version not supported" which suggests that the backend is refusing to talk HTTP/1.1 or HTTP/1.0 with Abyss Web Server reverse proxy. This is also very weird since all modern XAMPP versions support HTTP/1.0 and 1.1 out of the box.

Quote:
Is this related to the fact that I have Abyss serving SSL only and the other server is not? Also, the only way I can get it to work at all right now is leave the reverse proxy setting for SSL off. At the moment whenever I get the 505 error I just refresh the page and it loads fine.

This could interfere but Abyss Web Server revere proxy does all its possible to hide the SSL part from the back-end. So we doubt this could fully explain the issue.

The refresh-solves-the-problem behavior suggests that this probably a timeout issue. Do you experience error 505 immediately after visiting the URL the first time or does it show up after a few seconds (or even 30 seconds?)
Forum Administrator
Aprelium - https://aprelium.com
Moonwalker
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:

The refresh-solves-the-problem behavior suggests that this probably a timeout issue. Do you experience error 505 immediately after visiting the URL the first time or does it show up after a few seconds (or even 30 seconds?)

First, the Xampp server is no longer running any SSL. I plan to bring that back into the mix later on. For now I'm just analyzing the current behaviors.

505 error occurs instantly after first click, then usually not at all after refresh, however sometimes it takes a couple to a few refreshes to clear up. At the moment I'm suspecting it is possible that packets are being lost or corrupted. I know this is not the optimum set up but both the Abyss host and Xampp hosts are running over WAN. I do plan to at least run ethernet to the Abyss host soon.

For the Xampp server that isn't necessary right now since the app I'm running is only for personal use. Also I am the primary user of that system, which lives presently on my laptop which is my primary computer anyway so I can always access it directly. Future plans are to migrate it over to another Windows machine so my whole family can access it wherever they are. At that time they will both be over LAN only and (perhaps) that will solve the issue entirely.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonwalker,

Please keep us updated about the result of changes of your setup (WAN -> LAN). We'll be interested in knowing if that helped.
Forum Administrator
Aprelium - https://aprelium.com
Moonwalker
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:
Moonwalker,

Please keep us updated about the result of changes of your setup (WAN -> LAN). We'll be interested in knowing if that helped.

Sure thing. It's going to be a while though since making the cross server aspects work properly are low on the priority list. I'm currently building sites on the main Abyss server and working out a lot of conflicts and bugs with those.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: