PORT FORWARD PROBLEM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moonwalker
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:05 am    Post subject: PORT FORWARD PROBLEM Reply with quote

I've got ddns/port forward set up in Dynu. I've done this many times with other servers in the past so I'm pretty certain the forward is set up properly on their service. The unknown is Abyss.

Router is set up properly to forward 8000 and 4443 to the server host.

In Abyss, I have SSL set up to serve all files over HTTPS over port 8000, or port 4443 (for SSL). I've tried setting up the Dynu service to serve my alias to both 8000 and 4443. Neither one will load a page.

The reason I suspect the culprit is Abyss is because I've used the same setups in router, and Dynu to redirect to other servers with alternate ports (NOT 80 or 443), with seamless success.

Also, when attempting to access the site from the host using localhost:8000, or localhost:4443, or 127.0.0.1:8000, I get error 403 forbidden. If I use 127.0.0.1:4443 however, I get connection reset.

When attempting to access directly using my ip address, port 8000 throws 403 forbidden, and port 4443 throws a reset.

Hopefully this additional information will shed some light on the problem. To me, with limited knowledge, it's mystifying.

Any clue what the problem is?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: PORT FORWARD PROBLEM Reply with quote

Moonwalker,

When using SSL/HTTPS, you should always use the right domain name in the URL. Otherwise, Abyss Web Server would not know which host will respond to your request.

Also, we have no idea about dynu redirection. From our previous experience with these service, you should always make them associate your dynu name with your IP address. Never use what they call redirection because it's a fake solution that won't work with virtual hosting and especially when you use alternative ports.

So configure dynu to associate your domain name XXXX.dynu.com (for example) with your actual IP address, and then your site will be accessible using https://XXXX.dynu.com:4430 . The port number is required.

On your local computer, you should use one the suggestions in https://aprelium.com/abyssws/articles/access-test.html to test your site locally. The workaround is required most of the time because of the limitations of routers.
Forum Administrator
Aprelium - https://aprelium.com
Moonwalker
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along with your advice and other research I've done, I've dropped this approach in favor of reverse proxy for now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: