How do you back up your website?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
codemyster
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: How do you back up your website? Reply with quote

I was just curious to see how other people backed up their websites. I wrote a script in Autoit, compiled it to an EXE, and set it to run every night at 3 in the morning with Windows Task Scheduler. What are other people's methods?

This is the script if anyone is interested:

Code:

;#include <Array.au3>
#NoTrayIcon
Global $sHtdocs = _AbyssGetDir() & "\htdocs\", $sBackupDir, $sIniFile = @AppDataDir & "\htdocsbackup.ini"
If Not FileExists($sIniFile) Then
   $sBackupDir = FileSelectFolder("Please choose a folder to back up htdocs to (A subfolder called htdocsbackup will be created in this directory)", "::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}")
   If Not $sBackupDir Then
      MsgBox(0, "Error", "No Folder Selected. Exiting")
      Exit
   EndIf
   IniWrite($sIniFile, "backup", "path", $sBackupDir)
   $sBackupDir = $sBackupDir & "\htdocsbackup\"
ElseIf Not FileExists(IniRead($sIniFile, "backup", "path", "C:\htdocsbackup")) Then
   DirCreate(IniRead($sIniFile, "backup", "path", "C:\htdocsbackup"))
   $sBackupDir = IniRead($sIniFile, "backup", "path", "C:\htdocsbackup")
Else
   $sBackupDir = IniRead($sIniFile, "backup", "path", "C:\htdocsbackup")
EndIf
   ToolTip("Backup of htdocs folder is in progress", 0, 0)
   DirCopy($sHtdocs, $sBackupDir, 1)
Func _AbyssGetDir()
    local $installdir
    $Installdir = RegRead("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AbyssWebServer", "Install_Dir")
    Return $InstallDir
EndFunc

It makes daily backups and puts them on my USB drive which I always keep plugged in.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
ccs
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

codemyster,

Nice script, thanks! Autoit is a great program, no?

I actually backup my whole server, not just the websites, but that is totally up to each person's comfort level. There are a number of very good backup tools available, as there are a number of good backup devices as well.

I have 2 NAS boxes on my network specifically for backups. One is an old Compaq DeskPro EN (P3-512MB 2x500gb drives) running FreeNas (www.freenas.org). The other is a Buffalo Terastation NAS server (1tb). I use a variety of programs to backup nightly to the Terastation, and then from the Terastation to the Freenas computer. I also use Carbonite (www.carbonite.com) to keep copies of the backups off-site. For $50.00 a year, unlimited space, its the best bargain around IMO.

If you're looking for commercial backup apps, I highly recommend:

All very good products.
codemyster
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so jealous. My server is 1x10gb (Website+Personal files) and 1x1gb USB drive (Backup).

I'm actually rewriting my backup script to zip the files and upload them to an ftp server. I got it to zip, and the FTP upload will be a no-brainer. I might post it when I'm done.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see how I backup mine by visiting http://www.andrewwhyman.co.uk/homeserver.php and scrolling down to "Backup Server".
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my stuff is non-crucial. I just 7zip the htdocs folder and stuff every week or so to a flash drive or iPod. I did write my own backup script though.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lawrence
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since there's two components to my server - the files and the data - I have two things to back up regularly. All the active databases are backed up daily using MySQLadmin, which has a scheduled backup facility, and I manually back up the files once a week or whenever I feel I've done a lot of work. Since the files change a lot less often than the data, I reckon I'll never really be far behind.

I have a second server sitting idle which maintains the backups and mirror images of the primary server. On a gigabit LAN it doesn't take much time to simply drag n drop the entire server from one unit to the other. Every couple of months I download the entire site to a machine in another country, just so I have a local mirror to play with.

I've also got a preconfigured backup router sitting nearby, and all of it on a UPS with 30 minute minimum uptime without power.

So, barring earthquakes, theft or war, I think my server will be safe. ^_^
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
ccs
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I've also got a preconfigured backup router sitting nearby

Ah, great point! Many people over look that. They have all the backups one could imagine then POOF. The router goes out and its 4 days before they get the right replacement and get it configured. Not to mention you'll pay 'top dollar' when its an emergency.

If you're running your own server(s) and uptime is important, you have to have redundancy at all points. If not automatic fail-over systems, then at least have spare, pre-configured components on hand and ready to go.
sschaer
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i copy the whole path to an ordinary usb-disk. along that, i periodically (1 per month) disk images using acronis true image 11.

www.sschaer.org
www.cp-forum.net
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
codemyster
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I'm "advertising" a bit, but I rewrote the entire script so that it compresses it into a zip file and uploads to an FTP server. Information and the download link can be found on my website:

http://kentonbomb.homelinux.net/wordpress/?p=50

I'm not trying to "advertise". I'm just trying to help out the community :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: