ASP on Mac OS X

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chevron7
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: ASP on Mac OS X Reply with quote

I have installed the server on a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.4 per the instructions but I can not get asp pages to work; a simple Response.Write does not even work. What did I forget to do?
:cry:
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
cmxflash
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't any support for ASP on Macs. You should learn PHP or some other open language if you want to use a Mac as a server.

Last edited by cmxflash on Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chevron7
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is REALLY the case then it shouldn't be advertised as supporting both ASP and ASP.NET since, based on other threads in this forum, a third party plugin is required for it to work on Windows systems. It seems to me that if Abyss doesn't support ASP straight out of the box then it ISN'T supported (which means their web page smacks of false advertising).
cmxflash
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't say it support ASP out of the box either. Supporting script languages such as ASP or PHP out of the box is a security issue as well, and I don't think Aprelium would be allowed to include Selisofts software in Abyss.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevron7,

A word processor supports printing but it doesn't mean that when you buy it, you get a free printer with it with free ink.

ASP and ASP.NET are supported by Abyss Web Server but we have never hidden the fact that the support is only available on Windows and that ASP support requires a third party software (see http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/asp.html and http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/aspnet ). Note that the situation is no different from other web servers (if you want ASP.NET on IIS you'll have to install something, if you need PHP, you need to install PHP on any web server, and so on).
duanemsmith
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: ASP not supported on Abyss Reply with quote

I downloaded, installed and tested Abyss based on the same confusion that has been created here. Just because Abyss runs on Windows and Mac OSX does not allow a vendor to be ambiguous about what can be done on either side of the fence. The capability I was looking for was the ability to host ASP pages on a Mac Web Server. This is what I thought differentiated Abyss from Apache which comes pre-installed with Mac OSX. As this is not the case I do not expect a refund for my 2 hours spent with the product and will have to go back to the Abyss (the internet) to find an alternative.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Classic ASP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: