changing your site address to something like www.mysite.com

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qualerado
-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: changing your site address to something like www.mysite.com Reply with quote

i cant figure out how to make my site address something like www.mysite.com

It is stuck as my ip address, someone please help me
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you asking how to register a domain or do you already have a domain and need to set it up? You have to register a domain with a registrar. Its fairly cheap.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
qualerado
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

You have to register one? Can`t you just make one from Abyss? How do the registrars make them? Last question: do you have to keep paying for them, or do you just buy it and it belongs to you?

And I probably will register one, so if you aren`t going to murder me for asking so many questions how to you set it up once registered? :)
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you have to register a domain. Typically you can get get it for less than $10/year (at least for .com/.org/.net) and you pay yearly. It's more like renting than buying, but you can renew registrations every year and you have the ability to transfer/sell it.

Once you have a domain, you will need to setup a DNS record to point it at your server (A record for an IP, CNAME for another hostname). Then you will have to setup a host in Abyss to accept requests on that domain by setting the hostname as your domain. If your domain is correctly pointed at your server and Abyss is configured properly it would work perfectly.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
qualerado
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for not biting my head off, I think I will register one and follow your instructions.
loloyd
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to test the waters first and avoid paying for something when you're still experimenting with domain stuff, try going by the subdomain routes first. One of the most commonly used here for personal purposes is the service provided by DynDNS http://www.dyndns.com/services/webredirect/. You can get a redirector such as http://qualerado.homeip.net/ to work for you - it's not a fully pledged domain name but it's a subdomain of homeip.net that you can use for free - if it's still available.

http://home.loloyd.com/ is online if the logo graphic at left is showing.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also try freedns, there's way more domains to create subdomains of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> URL Rewriting All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: