Server Access Issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leviatas
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Server Access Issues Reply with quote

Allright. I have Abyss Web Server X2.

Now, my wifes computer can access the website from our home. But my laptop cannot.

I have unblocked port 80 on both the server and my laptop, but no luck.

So basically, I need to figure this out. I can access it from library computers, my wifes' computer, a friends computer, and they are all in private homes and different areas not connected to the servers' router. But I cannot access it from my laptop, which is at home. I have shutdown my personal firewall and it did not seem to help.

Suggestions?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your laptop on the same internet connection as the server? Your router might not support loopback.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mdoigny
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the local address of the server instead of his public address.

If you use extensively domain names (full url instead of relative urls) you can edit your hosts file (no extension) in the client computer to point the domains hosted to the local ip. The hosts file is processed before anything else.
-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdoigny wrote:
Use the local address of the server instead of his public address.

If you use extensively domain names (full url instead of relative urls) you can edit your hosts file (no extension) in the client computer to point the domains hosted to the local ip. The hosts file is processed before anything else.

I have been testing Abyss X2 2.4 and several domains on one box (XP Pro) for a year now. The server box is connected to a larger network of 4 and 6 computers by a router that does support loopback. I could easily access all domains (by name) from any system on the network. Now suddenly, I am unable to view by domain on my network of computers -- makes no sense, and I cannot find or fix the problem. (This is odd especially since I was finally satisfied with testing to a point of purchasing the newer version and self-hosting my business domains from my home network.) Arg!

ADDITION: Yes, I can veiw my default domain on any network computer by using the server IP... but that is not a solution...
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJWesley wrote:

ADDITION: Yes, I can veiw my default domain on any network computer by using the server IP... but that is not a solution...

Another update: (Abyss X2 2.4x)
Just on a hunch, I decided to install Apache once again. I could easily access each of my domains by name from all computers connected to my network. I could even access each domain by name from a browser on the server box! So... this is actually a problem with Abyss -- suddenly, since this was never a problem for the year that I have been testing. Now I am really stuck... suggestions would be appreciated. I would really like to upgrade purchase Abyss X2 2.5x for production.
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Server Access Issues Reply with quote

Hey,
Fixed...
(Test for a week in production, then if all is well, purchase an upgrade and go live.)
I like Abyss.
Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: