Notepad ++ for Linux (Don't get excited...)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toasty
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Notepad ++ for Linux (Don't get excited...) Reply with quote

Alrighty...

I'm not here to make your day and tell you that this was released...Sorry...

I'm looking for a program like Notepad++ that I can run on Ubuntu, unfortunately since I have to activate XP, and I was too lazy to do so, the computer stopped working, so I had to install Ubuntu on it.

I know it has gedit and kedit, but I can't stand having to keep tabbing over when I'm doing logic structures or tables. That, and I really do love how ++ lights up the curly braces for me.

I've tried to use WINE to emulate it, however it says "God Damned Exception Error: 999" (no joke)...

PLZ HLP, I will reward you with 10,000 internets.

Thanks.
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: PSPad Reply with quote

Hi, I went the same way. I switched to Xubuntu a year ago, and I still do not know a good general purpose editor in Linux.If you code Python, Eric is a really good one, and Tea doe some nice highlighting.

So I kept running my favourite Windows editor running on Wine. This is not Notepad++, but PSPad (see http://www.pspad.com ). Runs like a charm, but has the following shortcomings: Clipboard monitor does not work (but Xubuntu has one built-in, so this is no problem) and wine does not come with the Windows Scripting host. This is a good thing securitywise, but scripts in PSPad won't work either. And Wine's built-in help viewer is not that good, so I run helpfiles in xCHM instead.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Toasty
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the quick response. I'll look into that app and see if it fits my needs.

Please keep the suggestions coming, I'd love to try a few different apps to see what fits the best.
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toasty wrote:
I appreciate the quick response. I'll look into that app and see if it fits my needs.

Please keep the suggestions coming, I'd love to try a few different apps to see what fits the best.

A better option to kedit would be kate (KDE Advanced Text Editor) which is what I use for all of my scripting work. You can open multiple files, and it has code syntax highlighting.

You could always try Nvu, I haven't tried it, but there is a version available for Linux

Roganty
| Links-Links.co.uk
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
devastator82
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you using ubuntu gnome desktop, use gedit, if you want more like notepad++, install gedit plugins via apt. For kde maybe best option kate.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Toasty
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the bump...

An application called Geany is comparable to Notepad++, but I plan on dumping linux asap.

Just figured I'd let my fellow Abyss users know!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: