The Site I've always wanted

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccs
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: The Site I've always wanted Reply with quote

Had the domain name for over a year, but never had the time to really use it.

Now its live.... feel free to come and participate!

You Product Sucks!

BTW, Abyss is NOT in the list of bad products. I did create a forum board for my favorite software and, of course, Abyss can be found there :)

However, there are so many times I just want to scream about some of the junk that's pushed off as 'software' that I needed a forum like YPS to let off the steam. If you feel the same way, come by and let us know!

(Feel free to add your accolades about Abyss there too :D)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a 404 error with the link you gave and a 403 error when I attempt to visit the root of your website. So, your index.html doesn't exist and you don't have directory listing enabled (the latter isn't a bad thing though).
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ccs
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrinc wrote:
I get a 404 error with the link you gave and a 403 error when I attempt to visit the root of your website. So, your index.html doesn't exist and you don't have directory listing enabled (the latter isn't a bad thing though).

yes, thanks. Not really sure what went wrong there! I just blew the web pages away and re-uploaded. The main page and the forum seem to be working correctly now. Still working on the blog page though.....

ADDED.... Well, something is terribly wrong. I don't know what, but it looks like I'll need to delete it all and start over. :(
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you get it up, your website sounds interesting. :)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
richardyork
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your link: http://yourproductsucks.net/index.html should be http://yourproductsucks.net/index.htm
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious...why does NOD32 suck? I've used it for the past 2 years with no problems. Its light, fast, and works well.
ccs
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richardyork wrote:
Your link: http://yourproductsucks.net/index.html should be http://yourproductsucks.net/index.htm

Thanks. Actually, in trying to figure out what was happening, I changed the html names.... I know it shouldn't matter, but nothing else was working.

Turns out I had a DNS conflict. When I originally picked up the domain, I had 3 web servers going. I combined 2 since then, but somehow mixed the addresses up in the DNS tables!

Oh well, the site seems to be working well now at http://yourproductsucks.net/index.htm

Last edited by ccs on Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:36 am; edited 2 times in total
ccs
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrinc wrote:
Just curious...why does NOD32 suck? I've used it for the past 2 years with no problems. Its light, fast, and works well.

I posted all about my recent experience with NOD32 here

I'll admit that one person's problems with a product is not absolute proof that a product isn't any good, but when there are serious issues that some people have, I think its good to know that. This is especially true with any security (A/V, A/S, etc) software since we tend to let these things run and just trust that they are doing their jobs.

The biggest problem I had with NOD32, or at least the one that put them at the top of my "Your Product Sucks" list, is their response to my complaint about their product. I didn't get anything close to an apology, nor a "nod" for help. Instead I was told that I obviously did not understand how A/V software works and since it work (at the proverbial) everywhere else location, it must be my fault. I must not have installed it properly, etc. The fact of the matter is, I've been paid to review A/V products (and a lot of others); I've authored 3 books (which some of you I'm sure have read... anyone here ever take the A+, Network+ or Internet + exams?), and I do understand how A/V software works. But rather than even consider the possibility that their software may have missed a really nasty virus, the tech support simply tried to put the blame back on me.

Not very professional to say the least.

Oh, btw, I have since tested NOD32 extremely carefully with a half dozen machines, some infected before NOD was installed, and some clean when NOD was installed. 100% of the time, when a virus already existed on the PC when I installed NOD, it never saw the virus activity on those machines....never, not even after the virus spread to every executable that was launched.

NOD's reply to this was that their product is intended to prevent viruses, not clean them after the fact.

Anyone here think that's a wise compromise?

I have still yet to find a product as good as Avast, but I am in the process of testing Norman (no, not NorTon) which seems to be a real contender!
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avast is very good, but I hate the GUI on it. I've heard good things about BitDefender and Kaspersky, I've never used them before though. I just use NOD32 since its fast and I haven't had any issues and it doesn't seem to conflict with any programs I run. I have actually done some tests and virus detection is very fast.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Site I've always wanted Reply with quote

ccs wrote:
BTW, Abyss is NOT in the list of bad products. I did create a forum board for my favorite software and, of course, Abyss can be found there :)

:)
loloyd
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of our Windows 2000 servers at work have NOD32 installed. And they suck resources on these machines high, dry and fast! These servers serve as active repo to thousands of gigabytes of TIF files and cater to more or less 50 workstations each. NOD32 eats CPU timeslices bigtime on the way its AMON scans file accesses.

Oh, should I mention that it failed to detect a few virus intrusions too on those servers and on many desktops whose users trusted it? The other users who opted to use Kaspersky and AVG were far luckier, but maybe it could be because those other users were more of the "defensive drivers" kind when it comes to computing.

http://home.loloyd.com/ is online if the logo graphic at left is showing.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually switched to Avast. It's a great antivirus program. I never ran into any problems with NOD32, but I thought I'd try out the other guy.
jammy3
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't tried your site, but I would suggest making index.html AND index.htm auto-load files in the INDEX option. Mine also has index.pl, index.php, index.cgi and default.aspx as auto-loads.
pkSML
-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jammy3 wrote:
Haven't tried your site, but I would suggest making index.html AND index.htm auto-load files in the INDEX option. Mine also has index.pl, index.php, index.cgi and default.aspx as auto-loads.

Or just change the link on the the first post of this thread, removing the index.html part.

http://CodeBin.yi.org
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Powered by Abyss All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: