cannot find my website

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jscjso
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: cannot find my website Reply with quote

I have set up my Abyss web pages and site, it works fine with localhost and LAN environments.

Then I expand to domain name and external IP address, I cannot find my website from outside. I have a few questions:

1. Can I use the external IP address directly to access my website? I use a different ISP with a different laptop to browse from WAN using my external IP adddress, does this suppose to work? Since using mydomain.com does not work, I want to bypass any problem I have with nameserver setting.

2. My computer with the Abyss is connected to Verizon FIOS ISP. They provide dynamic IP address. But I do not logout at all, I keep my router and computer running 24/7. Hence the given IP address months ago does not change. Can I use this IP address instead of a static IP address for nameservers setup? Will this pseudo static IP address give me problem to find my website?

3. The computer with Abyss is running on Vista, do I need to open up any firewall or protection for the WAN to find the Abyss website?

any comment are valuable for me to debug.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to access your server by it's IP address. I'm pretty sure FiOS blocks port 80, so you'll have to use a different port if you're hosting your server off of that.

The best thing you can do is use a dyndns-like service (freedns, dydns, no-ip). If you really think your IP will stay static for a long time (or long enough to not annoy you with the need to change it often) then go ahead and set it up that way.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jscjso
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrinc,

I tried for about 4 hours and seems like I do something wrong.

Original setting:
default setting port 80 in Abyss.
I have my router Private IP pointing to my computer with Abyss, private port to 80, and public port to 80.
These setting give me access from other LAN computers by browsing the Abyss computer internal IP, using mydomain.com, or using localhost in the Abyss computer. All work within the LAN, but not WAN.

Then I tried to change the port setting:
Case1: I only changed the router's public port to 81( then 79). No other setting change from my above original setting.
This setting stops the access of other LAN computers to the Abyss computer. But the localhost access from the abyss computer still work.

Case2: I went into Abyss console, then into the HTTP host, then General. I changed the host port number from 80 to 81(then 8000). I also change the router private and public port to 81(then 8000).
This setting stops all LAN and even my localhost to access to the htdocs.

I am lost.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Mahindra
-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:17 am    Post subject: cannot find my website Reply with quote

I know ifconfig will show my intranet IP address, but how do I find my internet IP address? Im wondering about this for SSHing into my desktop from my Z and vice versa across the internet.

Probably a simple question, but I really have no idea how to do it.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: