FTP Server?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew
-

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 12:36 am    Post subject: FTP Server? Reply with quote

is abyss webserver 1.x able to have FTP access? if so what would be my addresss? http://clan.84th.servehalflife.com

help please
Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abyss does not support FTP. Search for GuildFTP if you need one. Good luck :)
Andrew
-

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i searched an found it, but how the hell do i use it?
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a user of FTP and couldn't give a definitive answer but I believe they do have a support forum much like this one. Good luck :)
Andrew
-

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see heres the deal. I have the server on my computer and my friend in like Virgina or somthing wants to be able to update it too. How would i go by doing that?
s1asher
-

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would advise you to go to the GuildFTP site, or check any help files that came with GuildFTP to see how you would go about doing this. If you can't find the information needed their, then you could try their forums, where someone should know how to set it up.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
os17fan
-

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cerberus FTP is more straight forward and easyer try cerberus FTP , i use FTP and im no expert but at least i got FTP to work , also the reason why I use FTP because abyss does not currently support banidth throttling so im using FTP for my download and if you server only a small amout of storage than i don't even think you need FTP but I do :D
-

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
see heres the deal. I have the server on my computer and my friend in like Virgina or somthing wants to be able to update it too. How would i go by doing that?

I use Serv-U FTP and make an account to the location of your HTML folder or where ever you store your webpages. If it is in HTDoc, then give your FTP access to that folder. You can make a separate account for you and your friend.

You got it :D

CapFusion,...
alexsuur
-

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ever tried bulletproof FTP? I've tried some (IIS, ability, apache) but some too simple , apache I don't understand (too much to configure)

somehow I'd like to see some look and feel of bulletproof in Abyss (no offence) 'cause I'd like to see in real time who is user, also easier for real time 'helpdesk' for others to log on (and are realy realy newbees)
-

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cap, do you have to buy Serv-U?
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexsuur wrote:

somehow I'd like to see some look and feel of bulletproof in Abyss (no offence) 'cause I'd like to see in real time who is user

HTTP is stateless protocol, so you cannot track the users in realtime. A user typically makes using his browser many concurrent requests to download a page and its images, disconnect instantly, browses the page and reconnects again to get something other. That makes a currently connected users meaningless.

Quote:
also easier for real time 'helpdesk' for others to log on (and are realy realy newbees)

The forum is the place when they can get help besides our email support.
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
cap, do you have to buy Serv-U?

Serv-U FTP is full Pro version for 30 day. After that, it will revert to personal editon and can be use forever. http://www.serv-u.com/download.htm 8O
It is very simple to use. :D :wink:
CapFusion,...
Gatewayy
-

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use guildftp, its free and open source \o/

My Abyss site!

http://crashhappy.gatewayy.net
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Support Open Source whenever possible :)
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vbgunz wrote:
Support Open Source whenever possible :)
:D
Coool!!

CapFusion,...
os17fan
-

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that GuildFTPd crashed after a few hours running on a windows XP OPERATING SYSTEM , IS THIS TRUE BECAUSE I READ THIS UP AT DOWNLOAD.COM , I want a free FTP server and im thinking of getting GuildFTPd instead of Cerberus 8)
-

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

um...i have CuteFTP and WS_FTP Pro, and GuildFTP, but how can i use them!!!! i have setup the thingy at no-ip.com and everything, but when i try to connect to my site, it connects but never gets a server resonse or welcome...help
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
um...i have CuteFTP and WS_FTP Pro, and GuildFTP, but how can i use them!!!! i have setup the thingy at no-ip.com and everything, but when i try to connect to my site, it connects but never gets a server resonse or welcome...help
:(
The possible problem can be the mode "Passive Mode". Try to either use disable or enable to see which will work.
-

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

os17fan wrote:
I read that GuildFTPd crashed after a few hours running on a windows XP OPERATING SYSTEM , IS THIS TRUE BECAUSE I READ THIS UP AT DOWNLOAD.COM , I want a free FTP server and im thinking of getting GuildFTPd instead of Cerberus 8)
8O
I do not know about GuildFTP but I have use Serv-U FTP for over 3 month non-stop with any problem. :D And it is free for personal editon 8O :) The Pro edition will become personal after 30 days if you do not want to register it. But after you register, it will become Full Pro edition again.
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexsuur wrote:
ever tried bulletproof FTP? I've tried some (IIS, ability, apache) but some too simple , apache I don't understand (too much to configure)

somehow I'd like to see some look and feel of bulletproof in Abyss (no offence) 'cause I'd like to see in real time who is user, also easier for real time 'helpdesk' for others to log on (and are realy realy newbees)

All,

BulletProof FTP Server is a very good product and inexpensive...less than $40 US and appears to be well supported.

Gary
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BulletProof FTP Server is a very good product and inexpensive...less than $40 US and appears to be well supported.

BulletProof, WSFTP, TinyFTP and or Serv-U FTP. All of those is fine for personal use as long YOU are comfortable with it.

In my opinion, Serv-U FTP is pretty good and simple to use. And it Is FREE like Abyss. LeechFTP is also FREE for client side to log on to the Server. It also very simple to use and does not have much complicate feature to be clutter.

In what-ever FTP server you pick, just make sure it right for your situation and not what other people say. All product have bug in someway or another.
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, browsing around and i see you ppl have some good experience, iam also using serv-u for some time now with one single problem (my job computer):

my home computer is behind the litle d-link router where ports 20 and 21 are enabled,

the facts are:
- ftp upload & download will work with dial-up and all other users.
- ftp download will work when i connect from my job computer which is behind firewall, but no upload , lmao (no problems with any other ftp account from this machine)
(list & delete is no problem)

any ideas on what i might miss?

tia

p.s.
(i tryed several different servers, configurations, ect..., seem like everything will freeze with the STOR ftp command.. - 'opening data connection' displays 4ever.)
p.s.2.
ultravnc file transfer is not working as well...
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the facts are:
- ftp upload & download will work with dial-up and all other users.
- ftp download will work when i connect from my job computer which is behind firewall, but no upload , lmao (no problems with any other ftp account from this machine)
(list & delete is no problem)

any ideas on what i might miss?

Try using this LeechFTP client and see what happen - http://stud.fh-heilbronn.de/~jdebis/leechftp/downloads.html
I like this simple FTP, very easy and less complicate for simple UL/DL task.
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Leech ftp Reply with quote

I have Leech ftp, but I can't connect to it >< the adresse of my site (the beginning of my site ^^"""" ) is : http://chibisanzou.no-ip.com/sanzo/index.htm and I have put in leech ftp "ftp.chibisanzou.no-ip.com" (and login, and password..etc..) but it's false :!: leech ftp would not ! please ! Help me ! what ftp adress must I put ?
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Leech ftp Reply with quote

chibisanzou wrote:
I have Leech ftp, but I can't connect to it >< the adresse of my site (the beginning of my site ^^"""" ) is : http://chibisanzou.no-ip.com/sanzo/index.htm and I have put in leech ftp "ftp.chibisanzou.no-ip.com" (and login, and password..etc..) but it's false :!: leech ftp would not ! please ! Help me ! what ftp adress must I put ?

This is a bit tricky when you have a "No-IP" type.

Since I am still studying or reading about NO-IP, I am going guess around. Did you set your port for port 21? Also, did you check your setting in your FTP server to listen on LAN IP (192.168.xxx.xxx) or local IP (127.0.0.1) and set your server to port 21?

Verify if your FTP from your LAN by using leechFTP and enter the LAN IP to see if it connect. If it does, your public IP maybe the issue either due to NO-IP is not linking to the current IP.
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp.you.com is not always a valid FTP Address , try ftp://www.you.com , thats what FTP Address i have to use 8)
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try testing your LAN IP in your FTP client (leechftp) and see if it connect. This is just to verify if it working first before you try from the outside. In another word, try to narrow down the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: