New Router after Move

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisM2
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: New Router after Move Reply with quote

OK, hello people. It's been a bit...lol

I recently moved and bought a new router. I set the router up for Abyss on ports 80 and 9999 both ways. I can see the site from my computer as the Abyss Icon blinks green. However, I cannot see anything from an outside computer. I did go to my domain name and change the IP Address to the new one, hence, typing my domain into the browser at home and it works fine from there. What else could I be missing?

EDIT: Still having the problem, however, shame on me for not looking at other threads first. I only moved 4 miles away, and have made no changes to my PC or Abyss. Also, the house I was at before had a Business Connection. I now have a Residential Connection. It could be port 80 is blocked for Residential. I will check that with COX it a bit.

EDIT2: OK, so I checked it out, Port 80 is blocked. What is a work around so I can run Abyss successfully?

EDIT 3: Ok, so, I’m going to stop being lame and figure this out either on my own messing around with settings or check deeper into this forum. Moderators, feel free to delete this thread, and hopefully if you found my last post to be potentially helpful to others you could make a sticky out of it? Again, sorry for the lameness…lmao
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New Router after Move Reply with quote

ChrisM2 wrote:
EDIT2: OK, so I checked it out, Port 80 is blocked. What is a work around so I can run Abyss successfully?

If your port 80 is blocked, you'll have to use a Web redirection service which will put your pages in a frame and hide the ugly URL (http://IP:8000 for example) from your users.

But this has the disadvantage that they will not be able to see full URLs and virtual hosting (based on domain names) will no more work. Each host has to be listening on a different port.
Toasty
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try port 8080 or 8000, but like Aprelium said, you might have to mask it.
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New Router after Move Reply with quote

aprelium wrote:
ChrisM2 wrote:

If your port 80 is blocked, you'll have to use a Web redirection service which will put your pages in a frame and hide the ugly URL (http://IP:8000 for example) from your users.

But this has the disadvantage that they will not be able to see full URLs and virtual hosting (based on domain names) will no more work. Each host has to be listening on a different port.

Problem being remedied by switching to Business. All ports will be open on that. Thanks aprelium, as always. :)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ChrisM2
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All fixed for now. Running off my Abyss Webserver at work till the cable peeps come out and convert me to Business. Can't wait to get my 12Meg down 1Meg up speed. I was running half this at my last house.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New Router after Move Reply with quote

ChrisM2 wrote:
Problem being remedied by switching to Business. All ports will be open on that. Thanks aprelium, as always. :)

You're welcome. :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: