Hosting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnsmedley
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Hosting Reply with quote

I have been using abyss server for 3-4 years now, I have a good understanding in hosting and operating servers but what I'm mainly concerned about is security.

We all do but, I only hosted password protected sites which only family can access. Now I'm wanting to go all out live and want to luanch my store's to get my online business going.

Also I'd like to note that I am planning on building a new server.

Currently this is what I running

DSL 1.5mbps Down/Up 448kbps
Abyss Web Server 2.5 X1
CPU:Pentium 4 Dual Core 3.7 GHz
RAM:DDR PC-2700 1GB
SQLyog V6.16
PHP5
MYSQL 5.0.51a-community-nt via TCP/IP
OpenSSL
Hmailserver
Telaen
etc..etc...

anyhow to my questions,

1.would verizon dsl business plan for Up to 3 Mbps/768 Kbps be sufficient in speed?

2.Would I benefit by purchasing Abyss Server X2?

3.Whats the safest way to host?

I have researched on the web and only solution I get is people saying Linux for the OS. or Cpanel.

I know monsterhost would seem to benefit and be much more reasonable way to go but, I don't want no SOB cheating me on bandwidth.
If anyone has experience with self-host and management and can point me in the safest direction I'd appreciate it.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. 768kbps can be sufficient for hosting, but things like images will load a little slow. I personally host on about 900kbps upload with decent speeds.

2. If you plan on hosting multiple sites then you would need X2.

3. This one is hard to answer. In short: use good passwords, don't make the Abyss console accessible to the internet and keep things updated. You might want to run a firewall, but its not really necessary.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Speed can depend on what you're hosting. I did fine hosting 10 websites on 400Kbps upload. That was until I started hosting images as well and then it was putting strain on it.

2. As said above, X2 will benefit you if you host multiple websites and/or require fine bandwidth throttling.

3. As above, hard one to answer. A firewall is not necessary. I ran my server for 2 years without one, no problem at all. What you have to do is only open ports on your router that you will be using. There is no better firewall than a router with NAT.

Make sure your operating system and software is up to date. Update the software when a new version comes out, even if its only bug fixes that don't affect you; you might find someone could hack you through one of those bugs.

In PHP, use safe_mode and bind each website to a base_dir of its own so nothing outside that folder can be accessed. Often a hacker will try and get at the operating system files through php to do damage. base_dir will prevent it.

In short, its never 100% safe to host. You have to do your best and take it as it comes.
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious what can be done instead of safe_mode for security. My shared host doesn't use it. Also its being removed in PHP6.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrinc wrote:
I'm curious what can be done instead of safe_mode for security. My shared host doesn't use it. Also its being removed in PHP6.

PHP6 will use proper user permissions instead of using its own permissions system. Much safer.
johnsmedley
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again,
Very useful information, Thanks! I was checking one of my favorite server news sites called serverwatch.com and came across an interesting article on better internet security for small business.
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/news/article.php/3731986
Just thought I'd share that.

Thanks again.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
loloyd
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't want no SOB cheating me on bandwidth.

You must never forget to turn on anti-leeching on your images and other files then.

From personal experience, I've had my sorry share of unknown people using my images and shared flash files in their myspace, yuku and other social networking accounts!

Actually, I'm partly guilty of this same sin on Aprelium as I've hotlinked their icon on one of my websites but I'm going to change that as soon as I update it. Sorry, Aprelium!

http://home.loloyd.com/ is online if the logo graphic at left is showing.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
loloyd
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't want no SOB cheating me on bandwidth.

You must never forget to turn on anti-leeching on your images and other files then.

From personal experience, I've had my sorry share of unknown people using my images and shared flash files in their myspace, yuku and other social networking accounts!

Actually, I'm partly guilty of this same sin on Aprelium as I've hotlinked their icon on one of my websites but I'm going to change that as soon as I update it. Sorry, Aprelium!

AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I host over 0.5GB of images on my server (4000 odd files) and I have hot linking banned to prevent bandwidth theft. It simply displays a small "hotlinking banned" image which is about 1KB in size. That will hardly use anything.
loloyd
-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AbyssUnderground, since you already have banned hot-linking (how? Thru Abyss anti-leeching?), you wouldn't have to contend with that small "hotlinking banned" image hogging your AWStats page at all.

I distinctly remember at one time, I didn't turn on anti-hotlinking on one of my websites (not using Abyss) in a paid host and when I visited my Analog/AWStats/Webalizer, I was surprised to find a few of the images on my paid host being directly used as forum avatars, sigs, etc. That really annoyed me. The images were indeed small but they indeed cost bandwidth against my account.

With Abyss, I almost never overlook turning on anti-leeching because it's easily there in the control panel. But the only server I host using Abyss - that's exposed to the wild internet - is the one I host at home, and it's just basically old stuff.

AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the small image in so people know why the image won't display on other websites. Its quite funny to go on some "rival" sites and see links they have tried to hotlink and seeing the hotlink banned image, and then people laughing at their incompetence.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: