Moving Abyss to new hardware

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dancingbear
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Moving Abyss to new hardware Reply with quote

As I have just received my latest electricity bill and prices are going up but 18% I feel it is time to move my 'all ways on' systems to low power hardware. So how easy is it to transfer the Abyss licence to new hardware?
The only thing that will move to the new kit is the hard disk and this might have to be re-formatted as it will be a completely different motherboard.

Also does anyone run Abyss on a Mini-ITX based system? If I can run this then I go from 500W to sub-100W nominal power.

Thanks

Simon
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Toasty
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd imagine that moving the harddrive alone will suffice. I don't believe there's any hardware fingerprinting involved in the installation process, so you should be good to go.

If, in the circumstance that you need to reformat for other compatibility issues, you can reinstall using your registration #'s provided when you purchased Abyss.

If all else fails, I'm sure Aprelium will swoop in and tell you what you'd need to do if it doesn't work this way.
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need to do is make sure your abyss.conf is backed up to keep your licensing information intact. Also remember to copy your htdocs!!
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't even have to install Abyss, just copy the folder over. Or you could install Abyss then copy the old folder over it.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving Abyss to new hardware Reply with quote

dancingbear wrote:
Also does anyone run Abyss on a Mini-ITX based system? If I can run this then I go from 500W to sub-100W nominal power.

We do. The main problem when considering a Mini-ITX computer is how much RAM and HD do you need to fit Windows and all its stuff. Abyss Web Server and companion software (PHP, MySQL, etc...) are not the major problem as they can work fine with little memory footprint and a slow processor (unless you are hosting a very popular site).
dancingbear
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Moving Abyss to new hardware Reply with quote

aprelium wrote:
dancingbear wrote:

We do. The main problem when considering a Mini-ITX computer is how much RAM and HD do you need to fit Windows and all its stuff. Abyss Web Server and companion software (PHP, MySQL, etc...) are not the major problem as they can work fine with little memory footprint and a slow processor (unless you are hosting a very popular site).

Thanks for the reply.

I am looking at a 1GHz processor and 1Gig of Ram in the box. I already have the OS, Abyss etc on a 80gig HD which seems to be more that sufficient for the few web-sites I have.

Sounds like time to invest in kit and start building.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: