Sites powered by Abyss (or atleast they were)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Chapman
-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Sites powered by Abyss (or atleast they were) Reply with quote

Moxxnixx! You're freaking me out man! I was just browsing the sub-forum and every single topic I open had been locked see as though the site had moved on from Abyss!

Why would you drop Abyss for Apache! I can only conclude they went and bought hosting which saddens me greatly.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Moxxnixx
-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people just don't know a good thing when they have it. :P

Actually, I can think of a few reasons why they can no longer use abyss. One of them being
as you said...moving to third-party hosting. This might be due to their ISP not allowing them to
run a server from home.

Also, I'm sure some people need the virtual hosting but can't afford it, so they switch to Apache.
I also think some people have the misconception that Abyss is for small and personal sites and
Apache is for large and professional sites, which is obviously not true.

I locked these posts because I feel it's not right for people to be promoting sites on this forum
if they're not running Abyss. In fact, I'm going to bin these posts today to keep this forum more
organized and less confusing to new members. It's been over a week and none of them have
made any reply. ;)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tom Chapman
-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIN! BIN! BIN I SAY! MAY THEY BURN IN H3LL!

*ahem* Pardon me good sir. :)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a secret...I use Apache shared hosting (AND Abyss). I run a couple business sites on the shared Apache hosting since they have larger web pages that my home internet connection couldn't easily handle. I host my own website and development site from my house with Abyss. If only static IPs and a megabit of upload was cheaper...when I get the chance tho I will certainly get a dedicated server and host it all from that with Abyss on a nice fat datacenter pipe (hopefully with a somewhat full wallet in my pocket as well). Sigh...

Oh and I'm also waiting for Abyss WS 3 to host the business stuff, I'd like to be able to hand out a little bit of control.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrinc wrote:
I have a secret...I use Apache shared hosting (AND Abyss). I run a couple business sites on the shared Apache hosting since they have larger web pages that my home internet connection couldn't easily handle. I host my own website and development site from my house with Abyss. If only static IPs and a megabit of upload was cheaper...when I get the chance tho I will certainly get a dedicated server and host it all from that with Abyss on a nice fat datacenter pipe (hopefully with a somewhat full wallet in my pocket as well). Sigh...

Oh and I'm also waiting for Abyss WS 3 to host the business stuff, I'd like to be able to hand out a little bit of control.

I use Apache too, but only at work on our paid hosting server. It has Plesk and we need that for the clients as it stands (although its usually me who logs in to make changes...).

I still prefer Abyss and my dedicated server runs around 12 domains (15 websites) from it with no problems at all. I manage around 52 hits a minute at the moment on average, and Abyss copes with that no problems.
roganty
-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moxxnixx wrote:
It's been over a week and none of them have
made any reply. ;)

Erm... How are they going to be able to reply if the post is locked!?
(Yes I know, "private message")

My website is on a webhost that runs Apache
I would love to run my website on Abyss, but I don't want to keep a computer on all the time while I'm still living with my parents

I do run Abyss on my computer, but as a test server before I put it live on my website

Roganty
| Links-Links.co.uk
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
olly86
-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current development server is running Apache and Apache Tomcat, because I need to use Java Servlets, and JavaServer Pages which Abyss does not yet support, so I have no choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: