Does Abyss support PHP via FastCGI on Windows?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albright
-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Does Abyss support PHP via FastCGI on Windows? Reply with quote

Just as the subject says.

Our client has stuck us with a Windows 2003 server. Right now we're using LightTPD as our web server, and it works quite well, but it doesn't support PHP via FastCGI; only via plain ol' CGI, which works well but is gonna be painful if this site becomes as popular as we want it to be. I'm not sure if this is a problem with PHP or with Lighty, as I've heard both; and Apache seems to have the same problem, whereas IIS does not.

IIS is an option for us, but I personally would rather use something lightweight (and inexpensive), hence our current use of Lighty. However, FastCGI would be really good to have… Is Abyss a good choice for us?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abyss fully supports FastCGI for PHP.
Albright
-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm… Indeed it does. I just set it up and it seems to be working well.

Two more things, though, before you make a convert out of me…

One, is there any way to adjust Expire: headers a la LightTPD's mod_expire module?

Two, how does Abyss compare in benchmarks for high-traffic sites compared to Apache and/or Lighty? A bit of Googling returns absolutely no relevant results…
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albright wrote:
Hmm… Indeed it does. I just set it up and it seems to be working well.

Two more things, though, before you make a convert out of me…

One, is there any way to adjust Expire: headers a la LightTPD's mod_expire module?

Two, how does Abyss compare in benchmarks for high-traffic sites compared to Apache and/or Lighty? A bit of Googling returns absolutely no relevant results…

Not sure on question 1...

Benchmarks for high-traffic sites indicate that Abyss can handle over 300 requests a second quite happily and there is plenty room for more. Aprelium will be able to provide you with more accurate results and numbers if you e-mail them at support@aprelium.com

I hope you do decide to make the switch to Abyss.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albright wrote:

You can add the relevant expiration headers using the Console > Hosts - Configure > General > Advanced Parameters > Custom HTTP Headers table.

For example, if you want to set all JPG files in /images/ to expire 1 hour (3600 seconds) after they are downloaded
* Virtual Path: /images/*.jpg
* HTTP Header Name: Cache-Control
* HTTP Header Value: max-age=3600, must-revalidate

Quote:

Abyss Web Server on modest harware (Pentium 3 class computer) is able to respond to hundreds of requests per second. On Windows, its speed will be at worst comparable to Apache and LightTPD. We cannot give exact figures because it depends a lot on the contents of your site and the speed of your scripts (and their proportion in a normal visit).

In most situations, it's your connection to the Internet that will be the major bottleneck for your service speed. We suggest having a look on <http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/articles/speed.html> for more details.
dedisoft
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've configured Abyss 2.5 with PHP in FastCGI mode.

I host Squirrelmail and Horde Open Source projects.

These projects have some errors (logged in php.log). I never had these errors with Apache in ISAPI mode.

The 2 kind of error are:
- File already in use (.php file !)
- Full message:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare _frameseturl() (previously declared in horde\imp\redirect.php:12) in horde\imp\redirect.php on line 19

When I switch to CGI mode, no PHP site runs !

I use the PHP package found in this site.

Thanks for your help
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dedisoft wrote:
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare _frameseturl() (previously declared in horde\imp\redirect.php:12) in horde\imp\redirect.php on line 19

This error is caused by a function delcared at two places with the same name. It more likely to be related to a programming error and not to FastCGI/ISAPI or CGI. We suggest checking your script setup, its configuration, and asking the script author for help.

dedisoft wrote:
When I switch to CGI mode, no PHP site runs !

Can you explain us what you mean by "No PHP"? Have you installed the preconfigured PHP 5 package available in http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/php5win.html ?

We suggest that you create a simple PHP file containing:

Code:
<?php
  phpinfo();
?>

Does browsing that simple file with CGI gives a result?
Forum Administrator
Aprelium - https://aprelium.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> FastCGI/CGI All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: