Suddenly SLOWWWWWW

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimi_l
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Suddenly SLOWWWWWW Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have x1 v2.0.6 running on XP Pro and a static IP ADSL connection. We also have a MYSQL server, mail server and about 6 workstations and all have been running for years (literally) just fine.

Over the last day or so I have noticed a severe slowdown but only once in a while. Today it is up to all the time. I have narrowed it down to Abyss. As soon as I start it up the entire network slows to a crawl. I can start the machine and get every other service running w/o a hitch but as soon as the Web server starts it's over.

Does anyone have an idea what is happening here? Is there any way to do a "dirty install" to see if it would help? I have a LOT of Web based apps that we use and need to keep running so any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jimi_l
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you send aprelium your abyss.conf file and a link to this topic. This may help them help you with the problem.

In the mean time can you post details such as the version of abyss, php and mysql, and the applications you are using. Also, could you post any recent software or hardware changes. And lastly, post the CPU and Memory usage of Abyss from task manager.
Jimi_l
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello AbyssUnderground,

Abyss x1 v2.0.6
PHP 5.1.6
MySQL 5.something (I am not sure which exactly)

CPU before starting server 2-4%
PF before starting server 325MB
After starting server PF jumps to 331 and CPU remains the same

As for running apps I have-

Hmail server
Avast antivirus
Windows Media Encoder
RealVNC

Nothing new here and nothing that has not been running for over a year. Actually well over a year and closer to three than one. I am not sure how I would send my .conf file to them. Should I just post it here as a .txt file?

I can't prove it but I think someone is attacking us in some way. We get SOOO many attempts to take down our site (which is powered by Mambo) and SOO much junk mail it is ridiculous. Since Nov 1st we have processed 5000 legit messages and bounced 56,000 SPAM messages. I am constantly banning IP's...it never ends.

As I said ANY ideas would be great but it certainly is happening as soon as I start Abyss so it is playing some kind of role here.

Thanks again,

Jim
ChrisM2
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHP version released and date released

24-Aug-2006 php 5.1.6

That is 1 year 4 months ago

There is no version of MySQL 5.x (Well, there is, Just waiting on 5.0 to be released)

Not trying to start nothing, I'm just say'n
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Jimi_l
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24-Aug-2006 php 5.1.6

And???

There is no version of MySQL 5.x

Try the download page here-
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.0.html

You're just saying what?? Seriously...whats your point?
ChrisM2
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimi_l wrote:
24-Aug-2006 php 5.1.6

And???

There is no version of MySQL 5.x

Try the download page here-
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.0.html

You're just saying what?? Seriously...whats your point?

wow dude, as I said, not trying to start nothing, ease up a bit will ya. And thanks for the info on 5.0, nice to know. Been using 4.x for a few years and never saw the 5.0 release in 2003
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Jimi_l
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No No,

What I said in the last line...If you see something that jumps out as a potential issue then say it.

I'm looking for answers here.

Jim
Jimi_l
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm down and staying down until I can figure this out.

As soon as I turn it on the whole network seizes up. I have eliminated virtually everything else, it HAS to be the Web server. I thought I could run it until it slowed down and ban every IP in the log to pin it down but no dice.

I'm really in a bind here, any ideas would be good at this point. What could possibly be causing this all of a sudden?

TIA,

Jim
NuccatheWarrior
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a cause of someone hates your site and then DDOS attack it. I had that happen to me. I contact ISPs if there is an illegal attack like that. But your post more likely u got hit by a hacker. I find, trace, contact who ever is doing it. I Notify the ISP admins and they take care of those low life people, more likely arrest them for cyber crime.

http://nuccathewarrior.kicks-ass.org
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
olly86
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your server is accessible from the Internet it is possible that a script kiddie has an automated tool pointed at your server, and is using a known and patched exploit in your software?

What do your server logs contain, after starting Abyss? As it is possible the attack is maxing out your bandwidth. I would strongly recommend updating your version of PHP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: