Ruby Install

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slipkid
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Ruby Install Reply with quote

Hey guys gotta problem.First of all Compaq presario with M.E. bone stock except 128 ram.Okay I got your Ruby package and followed the insructions up to but not including the rails set up.It simply will not create the cookbook dir.So I did the reading and saw the article by hibb's? Anyhow he sais to speed things up one could download the cookbook shell for rails, and I did.Well now all I get is Apache errors.I know this download was designed to run under apache but why wont Abyss run the
test run?I do know that for whatever reason M.E. has a unique registry set up from all the others and am thinking that this may be the problem.Have tryed several different set up configs still nothing.I guess is what I am getting at is there a work around for M.E. that you are aware of or do you think an older version of R>O>R might be the fix,I am hoping the former will do it.If not this will be the first time that M.E. has gotten the best of me. :-( Hope someone can help....BTW they are 500 errors and I have been all through the set up multiple times...
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
aprelium-beta
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby Install Reply with quote

slipkid,

The Ruby on Rails package available on our site was tweaked to make it easily installable on several systems and contains FastCGI support to enable it to run with Abyss Web Server.

You cannot get any Ruby On Rails package and expect it to run on any configuration. If you have an Apache preconfigured Ruby On Rails package, chances that it'd never be able to run with Abyss Web Server because they do not use the same interface.
slipkid
-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject: Ruby Install Reply with quote

Just me again,Maybe I didnt explain this clearly.I do have your version of
R.O.R, the problem I have is that rails wont set up.I can only create the railstest folder then when I try mkdir cookbook all i get is a bad command?That is why i tryed the Hibbs cookbook download,Everything is in place but server just wont run them.I thought that maybe because the command line would'nt create them then there might be a M.E. snag somewhere (wouldnt be my first).Something, Anything,Anybody!
aprelium-beta
-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ruby Install Reply with quote

slipkid wrote:
mkdir cookbook all i get is a bad command?

What is your exact operating system and its version? Could you post here the full command line session (what you typed+what you got including the error message)?
slipkid
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Ruby install Reply with quote

Operating System Microsoft Windows ME 4.9.3000
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
CPU Type AMD Duron, 750 MHz (7.5 x 100)
BIOS Type Compaq
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8363(A) Apollo KT133(A)

C:
mkdir \railstest
cd \railstest
rails cookbook -
I can get it here now ,actually it's railstest/cookbook. Problem was i was trying it with C:\Windows.Anyhow I can get to C:\railstest\cookbook\public so
is there anything else I need to do to test the install.The Abyss config was right by the book,500 error so I went back and tryed a cgi (not fcgi) and got the same.I cant help but think that my problem is due to the fact that there isnt,and shouldnt there be, a ruby index file in the Abyss htdocs folder.I think that I am putting bone before the head,
but a friend recommended doing it this way.Get everything up and running before you
dig in and start learning.I am not a complete novice but i think you know where I stand now.hope this helps somehow, if not I will give you first dibbs on a great pistol only
fired once....
aprelium-beta
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby install Reply with quote

slipkid wrote:
Operating System Microsoft Windows ME 4.9.3000

Windows ME seems to not be well supported by the Ruby on Rails package. FastCGI will not work on it, so you will need CGI only. But some other parts of Ruby will not work fine due to their dependency on functions that are only available in Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: