Abyss on Linux problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenboyles72
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Abyss on Linux problems Reply with quote

I have an IBM 380XD (233 w/96meg ram), with Damn Small Linux installed. I installed Abyss ok and I thought I had it config'd right. But when I open the console, there is a problem listening to port 81. When I check for open ports, port 81 is not enabled. This is the reply I got from the DSL forums:

Quote:
Is the server supposed to be started as root?
Make sure the user is set to nobody in the config file........

Look at the conf file abyss and there you will see a section for starting on a *nix system as root then running as 'nobody'.

I don't remember seeing a section for this. If it is not in the config file, how do I get Abyss to open port 81?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to run abyss as root on the first time it runs, then run it as a normal user from the on. This gives it access to ports below 1024.
kenboyles72
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm still pretty new to linux, so what would be the command to run abyss as root the first time?
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you could use sudo.
Code:
sudo ./abyssws
Not sure if that works, I haven't used Linux much in the past year. Sudo will ask you for your root username and password.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kenboyles72
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i knew the sudo command, i thought maybe there was something different. I've tried typing "./abyssws --allow-root" also, but everything I've done won't allow port 81 to open. So, I started it as normal, left the port at 8080 and just port forwarded 81 to 8080 in my router. At least it works. I think it has to do with this particular distro. DSL linux is only 50megs, designed to run off live cd but can be installed to hdd or pendrive. since it's so small, a lot of features aren't included.
aprelium-beta
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AbyssUnderground wrote:
You need to run abyss as root on the first time it runs, then run it as a normal user from the on. This gives it access to ports below 1024.

No. Running as root is not recommended for the first time. It is even a bad advice since it does not help Abyss Web Server automatically capture some important configuration parameters.

Please follow these (very detailed) instructions to install Abyss Web Server on Linux and set it as a boot time service:

* Open a user session in Linux using your normal user account (or you can create a new user account for Abyss Web Server that will be exclusively used for Web serving purposes).

* Download Abyss Web Server X1 from http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/download.php

* Open a terminal window in your Linux system
* Execute:

tar xvfz /full/path/to/abwsx1.tgz

where /full/path/to/abwsx1.tgz is to be replaced by the actual path of abwsx1.tgz (Tip: You can drag and drop abwsx1.tgz icon on the terminal to have it automatically type that full path)

* Execute:

cd abyssws

* Execute:

./abyssws

* Abyss Web Server will start and create a default abyss.conf file. You can open a browser at that stage and browse http://127.0.0.1:9999 to see the console. No need to configure it right now. You can do that later.

* The first step is over and you can switch back to the terminal and press CTRL+C to stop Abyss Web Server and have the prompt once again to type more commands.

* Now we are going to install Abyss Web Server to start at boot time automatically (similar to the service mode in Windows).

* Execute:

./autostart-setup install

* This will ask you to enter your root password to be able to execute a privileged action (it will install Abyss Web Server in the list of boot time applications).

* If you get a success message, please skip the following points until [End of setup]. Otherwise, if you enter the right root password several times and it is refused or if no password is asked for and you get an error message immediately, chances are that you current user has no right to switch to root. In such a case, close the current user session and login as the first user who have installed the system.

* use the command cd to go to the abyssws directory. The command should look like:

cd /home/someusername/abyssws/

someusername is to be replaced by the login of the user that you used to install Abyss Web Server. (Tip: pressing TAB twice while writing a path in a command will display possible matches, try it. Type cd /home/ then press TAB TAB, next type the first few letters of one of the displayed names, press TAB and it will be autocompleted).

* Now execute again:

./autostart-setup install

* It should report an operation success and no errors.

[End of setup]

* At that stage, Abyss Web Server is installed as a startup item. It will be started automatically every time Linux starts. No need for a logged in user. It will run in the background.

* You can restart your computer to start Abyss Web Server or you can run it immediately by issuing the command:

sudo /etc/init.d/abyssws start

[Last thing]

From now on, you'd never need to use the command line for Abyss Web Server configuration. All you have to do is to use the console by browsing http://127.0.0.1:9999 .

If you have any problem with the setup please let me know and give me the exact steps you've executed (you can copy/paste the terminal session for more details) as well as the error messages you are getting.
kenboyles72
-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I basically went by the above instructions to begin with (instructions from online docs) and I got abyss installed no problem. But, whenever I went to change the listening port, I got a port error. I think it's just an issue with DSL linux, since it's only a bare minimum distro, not designed as a full distro. So, I stole the hdd out of my son's pc (i know, i'm bad), stuck it my AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600 pc and dual booted it with Ubuntu. Installed Abyss no problem and was able to change ports. The installation on the laptop works, just can't change the listen port. I just port forward 8080 to 81 in my router.

Thanks for all replies.
aprelium-beta
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenboyles72,

If you can't change the port to 80, it's probably because another application is already using it. On most Linux distrubitions, check for Apache and remove it (or stop it) to free port 80.

By the way, Abyss Web Server does not need a lot to run on Linux. It can be executed on a bare minimum system with only a kernel and a basic shell.
kenboyles72
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for such a delay of this post. I did get Abyss to run properly, it was just a permission issue. After I installed the autostart-setup and had it to run as a system service, the issue was fixed.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenboyles72,

Thanks for your feedback. Glad to know it's working fine right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: