How many databases can mysql handle.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
svankamon
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: How many databases can mysql handle. Reply with quote

Hi, im running several scripts which require mysql databases. They all work fine but dont have much traffic at present. Can i expect the databases/scripts to start slowing down or stop working later if and presuming my sites get busy. Id appreciate any input to this query. Thanks.

Im using mysql v4
Php 5
abyss x2
vista home premium
2.3 processor
2 gig ram
2x 160 gig and 1 x 250 gig hard drives.

Im not sure what bandwidth is but does this have anything to do with what im aking here. Im not a fully fledged programmer, just a dabbler if you like. So dont have a clue as to problems i may incure later. Thanks again in appreciation.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your setup is pretty powerful for a web server. I wouldn't worry about it. To my knowledge MySQL doesn't really slow down by having many databases, however if you have scripts which go through a large database that may be kind of slow. Honestly, its insignificant. Don't worry.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
madman1337
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have hosted several databases that were somewhat large and had frequent traffic and I didn't notice too much of decrease in the MySQL time, and that was on a 1.3GHz computer with 512MB of RAM at the time.

I personally have never experienced any issue with MySQL taking an excessively long time retrieving data, no matter how many simultaneous users. But, then again, I haven't really had more than 20 active users at a time...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks, that reasured me a lot. Now for the truth of the matter. A couple maybe 5-6 of the databases in the data folder of mysql are inactive and need deleting, there were a couple of folders in there anyway and i now count the databases as 50. This is less the ones already mentioned. These consist of: email server, 4 forums, 4 chat rooms, 4 ad scripts, 6 shops, around 15 directories etc. I hope to get a lot of users.? Will this be a problem if people are chatting, placing ads etc.??????

Also im told the scripts can handle 100,000 plus users, will i eventually need to change something.

Also in the future i need to add a lot more if pos. Could i install mysql 5 on a seperate hard drive with the other scripts, (this as well as having mysql 4 on my c:/main drive.??

Thanks again
madman1337
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, you can have multiple installs of MySQL running at the same time. Just change the process name while you go through the initial setup of the server.

I don't quite understand the difference of the first question in your last post and the original question. The answer will be the same. It depends on the amount of users requesting info from the MySQL server. Did you set the max connections up pretty high when you initially setup the server?

and how many users at a time are you guessing you are going to have?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if you begin to have tons of traffic, you could put an installation on each hard drive. The need for that however is really unlikely, unless you'll be serving up hundreds of requests within very short periods of time.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
svankamon
-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks folks for that. I havent replied till now cos i was away from home and have to go again now. Il pick up on this after ive looked further at my setup.

Thanks again.
JBeast
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: all things are relative Reply with quote

Full-text searches against a forum can be a hog. Many forums just leve'em out or rely on google for their site search. If you do plan on having full-text searches though, it's best to setup a separate data source, database user or whatever it takes to limit the number of simultaneous full-text searches. Then when you get an error while creating the database connection you can gracefully redirect to a "too many users are searching now, click here to try again" page. Even in a low network throughput scenario, it's easy to get DOS'd by someone/people spamming the search function. Setting a session variable with "Now()" when they search will let you put'em on a delay between searches.

Also, since you're serving from an application-oriented OS, it might be a good idea to set the processor priority to background services and memory usage to caching. May not be necessary, but it'll help keep your services from getting pushed into virtual memory when you're using desktop applications.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Databases All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: