I Switched My Desktop to Ubuntu!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: I Switched My Desktop to Ubuntu! Reply with quote

I just made the switch to Ubuntu from Windows (have a Dual boot config, but I'm running Linux). I'm surprised how far Linux Distros have come since I last used one, I knew they were good...but this is really good! So, with a little prior use of Linux, I feel fairly comfortable.

I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 (the latest) and I enabled effects (Compiz Fusion). All this transparency and stuff isn't nearly as slow as it would have been on Windows, I'm very surprised. If I can get my games running on WINE, I'll probably stick with it.

I recommend all of you running Windows try it.

Some cool things I've noted with Ubuntu:
Reads NTFS drives/partitions fine
Runs pretty smooth (I have an AMD Opteron 1212, 1GB ram, NVIDIA GeForce 6600 - I'm using Gnome and have Compiz-Fusion effects set to normal)
I love the customization Linux Distros provide.

So, anyone else here running a Linux Distro?

Also, if anyone is interested in how I didn't lose my Windows drive, I had about 80GB of unpartitioned space and installed Linux on that (I didn't have to do any tricky/dangerous partition resizing). And GRUB (or maybe Ubuntu does this) added Windows to its list of operating systems.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bprsk8r4272
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll be using ubuntu soon on one of my laptops i just gotta figure out if theres a driver or something for integrated wireless

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what your specific hardware is, but Ubuntu seems to have pretty good out of the box support. My wireless card and sound works out of the box.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: