MX Records????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sophia
-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: MX Records???? Reply with quote

Ok, I have a couple off topic questions.

Does anybody know how to setup MX records?

i have been asking DYNDNS for assistance with this, but they keep telling me that my MX records are wrong and that if I need further assistance that I need to subscribe to Premier support.

I am currently running Merak Mail Server 8.5 that I purchased from a friend in NZ. However they are up to ver. 9.1 now (I think??) I am past the one year for upgrades on that license that he purchased a few years ago.

however, my mail server is hit or miss because my mail records are wrong. I am able to send out "some" not all mail without errors, but I am able to recieve all mail. If anybody can recomend a mail server with the ability to access it via the web, that would be awesome.

For some reason, some mail servers check MX records prior to accepting an e-mail message, and some do not check MX records. One e-mail server even sent a suggestion to my server stating that I should be using a mail relay, however i thought having a mail server associated with a domain, it would not cause any errors.

On another note, I just recently rebuilt my server because of a hard drive that failed. I am using the most updated version of PHP and the most updated version of MYSQL, however in the past, I had no delay between people viewing PHP or HTML on my server. What I am experiencing now is kinda of weird because I have checked and rechecked everything and can not find anything wrong with the php.ini file. For example, when you access an html file on my server now, it is instant, but when you access a php file on my server now there is atleast a 5 second delay for the page to load. This has never happened before, and I am dumbfounded as what it causing this issue. I knew that there was issues with past version of PHP and mysql, however I cannot find what the cause is, now that I have the most recent versions.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
pkSML
-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you own a domain, or a free subdomain that dyndns provides?

If you've purchased a domain, the site through which you ordered your domain should let you set your mx records.

To check your records:
Start -> Run -> cmd.exe
Code:
nslookup
> set type=mx
> yourdomain.com

Some good reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MX_record

http://CodeBin.yi.org
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sophia
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I have read that page several times and the A name wiki as well.
FYI, I do not have the free service from DYNDNS, I have the paid custom DNS service.

However, what I do not understand is, this...

hostname = ****.mydomain.com

Mail Exchanger= ******

what do I need to put into the **** spots?

Also in Merak it asks for both a domain name and a hostname for the mail server. I have tried several different things and it seems that no matter what I try, nothing is consistant, depending on what I use, I do not have the ability to send or recieve e-mails at all, or I have the ability to recieve all e-mails but not send out all e-mails.
pkSML
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom line is that you need all hostname/domain names to point to your IP address.

For example, you could set your mail exchanger to mail.mydomain.com.
Then make sure you have an A record for mail.mydomain.com pointing to your IP address.

Then in your mail server, the hostname would be mail.mydomain.com.

Otherwise, just do things like I do. The mail exchanger is the exact same as my domain name. And so the hostname would be just my domain name.

Perhaps if you're still having trouble, you could post a screenshot of your mx settings, which you can obtain by reading my last post.

Sophia
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkSML wrote:
The bottom line is that you need all hostname/domain names to point to your IP address.

For example, you could set your mail exchanger to mail.mydomain.com.
Then make sure you have an A record for mail.mydomain.com pointing to your IP address.

Then in your mail server, the hostname would be mail.mydomain.com.

Otherwise, just do things like I do. The mail exchanger is the exact same as my domain name. And so the hostname would be just my domain name.

Perhaps if you're still having trouble, you could post a screenshot of your mx settings, which you can obtain by reading my last post.

See this is where I start getting confused.....

When I attempt to set my mail exchanger to mail.mydomain.com
I get an error.
It says the error is: MX record must point to hostnames pointed to an A or an AAAA DNS records (not to a CNAME aliases).
Sophia
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, is there another mail server that has webmail support that isn't as confusing as Merak mail server? I know Merak is a good one, but if I want to upgrade to unlimited e-mail accounts it will cost more than 2,000 dollars. Maybe you know of a better one that isn't so expensive.
pkSML
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to make another A record in your DNS settings for mail.yourdomain.com. Then you can use it as a mail exchanger.

I don't believe the mail server is acting out of order, but you can try Mercury/32. That's what I use. Then I use SquirrelMail (http://www.squirrelmail.org) for the Web interface. You can get Mercury 32 from:
Direct Download: ftp://ftp.usm.maine.edu/pegasus/mercury32/m32-452.exe (7.1 MB)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: