Lessons Learned. A few things to verify

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccs
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Lessons Learned. A few things to verify Reply with quote

After installing a renewed certificate using the new SSL support in Abyss, my secured pages didn't display. The old STunnel application worked (but issued warnings that the certificate was out of date) so I didn't know what the problem could be.

After very quick and responsive support from Aprelium, we identified a couple of things. Please keep these in mind when you add a signed certificate.

Apparently, I had the wrong intermediate certificate from the signing authority (GoDaddy). They didn't send the certificates to me, just pointed me to a web site to download everything. So, make sure you read the information carefully. You have to have the signed certificate, the correct Intermediate certificate, and the proper root certificate. My guess is that each signing authority supplies these in a slightly different way.

That however, didn't 'fix' the problem. HTTPS pages still didn't display. Even with the self-generated certificate, the pages didn't display. Its then that I went back and checked the configuration for the site.

I had forgot to change the protocol for this site to use BOTH the HTTP and HTTPS protocols. You also need to select which certificate you want the site to use.

Once I had set the settings for the web site properly, the SSL function worked perfectly!

So don't forget that all these settings need to be done in order to get SSL to work. Its very logical, but easy to overlook since its not something you'd do on a regular basis.

I'd also like to remind everyone that one of the real benefits of the Abyss product is the tech support! Second to none!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Lessons Learned. A few things to verify Reply with quote

ccs,

Thank you for sharing your exprience with the forum members and thank you for praising our technical support.
Forum Administrator
Aprelium - https://aprelium.com
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> SSL/Certificates All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: