my website is not updating?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starops
-

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: my website is not updating? Reply with quote

when i try going to localhost or http://myip/ my site comes up the way it was a couple of hours ago... i just started building my site today so i am not sure if the problem will fix itself, but i want to install my phpbb board and it is stopping me from doing so.

also, when i give the adress to my friends it does not come up for them, as if the connection is blocked or the server is down BUT before i gave them the adress and the site worked perfectly

does anyone know what my problem is and how to fix it???

thanks!!!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try clearing the cache. On IE hold Ctrl as you refresh the page... On mozilla, its under edit > preferences... You might have to restart Mozilla...

If one time your IP worked for others accessing it but lately it just doesn't work maybe your IP address changed?

Theirs a bunch of different reasons why your webpages wont show up in public... Search the boards for the keywords and you should come back with a bunch of solutions.

Good luck :)
Starops
-

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm it seems to be working fine for other people now.. just when i try to veiw it myself it comes up un-updated... and for some other people its doing the same thing... they go to it, its fine. tell me to fix something, i fix it, its fine... then the tell me to fix something else... i fix it, and then all of a sudden it wont change for them. even though i changed it and when i preveiw it its fixed, but when i go to my site through ie or anyone else does it wont update.
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could depend about how you go about changing things. For example, simply replacing graphics in Explorer without using an editor can lead to updates not updating compared to using a graphic editor...

Try a few different methods of updating and I am sure you'll find a way to update successfully everytime. Good luck :)
Starops
-

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know quite a bit about webdesign, i have made many websites on free server hosts in the past.

here is my problem as i have found out more about it...

basically when someone goes to my website, they will see the site fully updated the first time. but if they go to another site and then go back in a few hours after i have updated it and changed some text (eg. added pictures, fixed flash and html links, spelling errors, added news posts)

it will show the website as they saw it before the FIRST time they went to it.

however my friend and i played around with it and we discovered that if the viewer deleted his online files
(on IE go: Tools>internet options> delete files)

then the page would show its most updated self.

but there must be a way to fix this... because i cant have people deleting their files everytime they want to go to my site...

my friend believes that everytime the clock turns to 0:00 (each new day starts) then the files will delete and it will show the newest updated automatically.

but i think that 24 hours is a little too long, is his theory right? and is there a way to fix it?

please help!?!?!?
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the caching policy of your visitors browsers. Try playing with the parameters to know more about that. On the server side, when a file is requested, it will be recognized as updated if its modification time (see the file properties) and/or its size changed.
enko
-

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Addendum Reply with quote

As an addendum to the above, some IP servers use cacheing (Telefonica is one) and if your users want to see the updated pages they either

1. wait for 24 hours

or

2. Hold control while refreshing to force the IP server to download the new version
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: