Subdomains on "intranet"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lestat
-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Subdomains on "intranet" Reply with quote

I recently posed a question regarding paths.

After reading the forums I'm getting confused. But I'm sure the confusion lies on my end regarding sub domains, and good practices...

I have configured abyss like the following:
Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 1.8GHz CPU
2GB DDR2 ECC Memory
RAID 1
XP Pro sp2
Abyss Web Server X2 (v 2.4)

E:\web server (abyss install)
E:\websites\intranet
E:\websites\extranet

I have router configured so that when someone from the outside comes in, they are forwarded to the proper machine. All is working well in this aspect, I'm playing with a new machine and file structure.

The extranet isn't truly up and running, just an index file for now.

Can I configure to access abyss like so:
http://machineName/intranet
http://machineName/extranet

I'm thinking this may involve setting up another host?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have only a few machines you could use the hosts file to make the internal routing easier but otherwise you'd need to use a normal domain.

The easiest thing to do is to have a normal domain and point its DNS records to the internal IP of the server running abyss.

For example for my domain I could do:

internal.abyssunderground.co.uk pointing to 192.168.1.100

Anyone accessing internal.abyssunderground.co.uk wouldn't be able to reach the server because 192.168.1.100 is only in your local network, not in the other persons.

Its an crude way of doing it but it does work. However it does mean if the dns goes down or the internet for that matter, the intranet and extranet would not be able to look up the IP for the domain.
lestat
-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a domain with a static IP. When someone from the outside comes in it hits my firewall, which is setup to direct http traffic with www. to my abyss server.

So now it's a matter of getting the traffic to go to intranet/extranet. Of course I know I could just setup a redirect in the root of abyss... which isn't entirely bad either. I was just thinking it would be nice to have the hosts setup different. This way restarting one doesn't effect the other etc.

Thanks for the reply ;-)
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its just extranet and intranet you want available on the inside of your network only you could use IP blocks which allows your local IP's only to access it and all other IP's get blocked.

Sorry if I don't fully understand what you're trying to do. Its been a long day at work :-)
lestat
-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry if I don't fully understand what you're trying to do. Its been a long day at work :-)

Funny, I don't know exactly what I'm trying to do either lol.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lestat wrote:
Quote:

Funny, I don't know exactly what I'm trying to do either lol.

Haha :-) Have a think and get back to me :-)

You could try adding me on msn as well if you want but I can't guarantee that I'll be on (I'll switch it on now however).
madman1337
-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so wait you're asking how to set it up for multiple hosts so that if someone types in this.domain.com it goes to this site this and if you type in that.domain.com it goes to that site?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you trying to create a virtual path for "/extranet" and "/intranet" that will point to different network drives? You can already do this with Abyss's "Alias" feature. All you need to do is setup two Aliases, one for "extranet" and one for "intranet." Hopefully this answers your question.

Note: You can also setup Virtual Hosts to point to network drives, and not just local drives.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
roganty
-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what lestat is trying to do is set it up so that anyone visiting his site from outside his network sees /extranet
And anyone visiting his site from within his network sees /intranet

Is that right/clearer!?

Roganty
| Links-Links.co.uk
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
lestat
-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok here's what I'm trying to do.

My current setup for an intranet is the main site on abyss, that is accessible from both the inside and out side world. Protected by the 'virtual realm's of abyss that acts much like .htaccess. To access it we hit up www.oursite.com . Then we are presented with the credential prompt that I setup through abyss to access the site. We have a domain name and a static IP that forwards all www traffic to my abyss server.

I realize 'intranet' is an improper name for it because it can be accessed from the inside AND outside. What's on the site are items like, internal phone lists, custom shop reporting, quote requests, links to our email server, and much more. It's a tool we rely on heavily.

Recently I upgraded my old PIII box to a phat rack mount setup (see signature).

In planning the migration I thought it would be nice to plan in advance (before they ask it of me) the possibility of having an extranet for a customer only access area. I know I could just create an extranet dir within the current host, but then things start getting messy and cluttered.

The new server is not yet in production. For a few reasons. Mostly because my older php code is really messy, and php5 is letting me know this hehe.

So this is why I'm looking for /intranet and /extranet separated. It would seem to be a safer choice. I know I can do this via a redirect php page. But at the same time it looks like Abyss has all the bells and whistles I need.

So far I have setup;
E:\Web Server (abyss install)
E:\websites\intranet
E:\websites\extranet

The "intranet" is loaded and runs fine (cept for poor php'ing).

As stated in a post above, I'm pretty sure it's my ignorance in the way here. (Alias vs Host/subdomain?)

Whaddya think?
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A PHP redirect would work fine. All you need to do is find the range of IP's in your network and fine a script to redirect based on IP. Any IP thats in the local range gets the internal site and any outside the IP range gets the external site :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: