Screen Resolutions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomBullock
-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Screen Resolutions Reply with quote

Hello
Im abit stuck about designing my new site.
The screen i have got is 1280x1024 but most people i know have screens that are 1024x768.
Is there a way of catering for both resolutions without messing up the website?

Thanks
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
pkSML
-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your current site works just fine on both resolutions. That's how I've done my sites. I just center my page content in a fixed-width block.

You can have Javascript automatically redirect a person based on resolution, but it doesn't work in all browsers. It's a lot fewer headaches just worrying about one width.

http://CodeBin.yi.org
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should make the site expand and contract to fit all resolution for 800x600 and above. My site is designed for 1024x768 and above and expands accordingly so take a look at how its done in the source code of my page.
madman1337
-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it looks fine with the fixed with centered, since I like to keep my windows about that size anyways...I rarely use full screen on my big monitor...1792x1344 is a bit big for just a website lol.

just design your site for the average user, or make it have the ability to scale to the size.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkSML wrote:
You can have Javascript automatically redirect a person based on resolution, but it doesn't work in all browsers.

Do you know where i can find the Javascript please?

Thanks
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomBullock wrote:
pkSML wrote:
You can have Javascript automatically redirect a person based on resolution, but it doesn't work in all browsers.

Do you know where i can find the Javascript please?

Thanks

The internet? :-)

Do a quick google search for JavaScript resolution checker and you should find something that will do what you want. If you know PHP then you have an advantage because JavaScript is very similar.
pkSML
-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomBullock wrote:
pkSML wrote:

I use the following code at http://calvarybaptist.homedns.org/4lbl/ as a reference to see what my visitors are using:
Code:
<SCRIPT language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
<!--
image = "./blank.gif" //name of the image
function Start() {
tmp = "?w="+screen.width+"&h="+screen.height
document.images["res"].src = image+tmp // grabs image with dimensions in query string
}
Start();
// -->
</SCRIPT>

Your key is screen.width

That's simple code to grab their resolution, and you can search for a javascript redirect.

http://CodeBin.yi.org
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Arctic
-

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For fixed width, use either 720px, 840px, or 960px. The last width, 960px, is the largest you should go to at this time (1024x768 is more common than 800x600).

Fluid layouts can have issues with line-lengths. Most web developers aren't using fluid layouts anymore (line-lengths get too long), it's usually fixed or elastic (width based on font size to preserve line-lengths).
Back to top View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
jwalley@enterwall.com
-

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: resolution Reply with quote

Arctic wrote:
For fixed width, use either 720px, 840px, or 960px. The last width, 960px, is the largest you should go to at this time (1024x768 is more common than 800x600).

Fluid layouts can have issues with line-lengths. Most web developers aren't using fluid layouts anymore (line-lengths get too long), it's usually fixed or elastic (width based on font size to preserve line-lengths).

I agree. I always create sites at 1024x768. Just make sure you develop on that resolution as well or you can end up with some messed up stuff. test with different browsers and resolutions to make sure it looks good in every environment.

Learn your true potential! Give yourself the gift of life coaching.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
ZellyHarry
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkSML wrote:
Your current site works just fine on both resolutions. That's how I've done my sites. I just center my page content in a fixed-width block.

You can have Javascript automatically redirect a person based on resolution, but it doesn't work in all browsers. It's a lot fewer headaches just worrying about one width.

How can one do that?

Last edited by ZellyHarry on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
aprelium-support
-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZellyHarry,

We suggest checking the following article http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/newtech3.shtml .
frank112
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we know that default resolution size is 1024x768.. So, whenever you design a template just use the default resolution and set margin to auto .. You find it great on any resolution size..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Web Design All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: