Installing and using Abyss on Windows NT Server 4.0

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gengar56
-

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Installing and using Abyss on Windows NT Server 4.0 Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience whether Abyss is compatible with Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 SERVER? Also, how secure is it to run a public web server with Abyss? Sensitive info may exist on the server outside htdocs. Or should I use a different machine to keep those files safe?
-

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing and using Abyss on Windows NT Server 4.0 Reply with quote

gengar56 wrote:
Does anyone have experience whether Abyss is compatible with Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 SERVER? Also, how secure is it to run a public web server with Abyss? Sensitive info may exist on the server outside htdocs. Or should I use a different machine to keep those files safe?

Abyss runs on NT 4.0 (and even 3.51). For the second part of the question, we prefer to let other users answer, we cannot be objective speaking about our product :D
rtp3
-

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing and using Abyss on Windows NT Server 4.0 Reply with quote

gengar56 wrote:
how secure is it to run a public web server with Abyss? Sensitive info may exist on the server outside htdocs. Or should I use a different machine to keep those files safe?

if you use good firewall software (i.e. Norton Personal Firewall 2003), then it is safe. I currently host my website on my computer with Abyss and Norton Firewall 2003. So far I have seen quite a few denial-of-service attempts (http_iis_isapi_extension) on my server, but none have succeeded.
In answer to your question, yes it is safe to run a public server with Abyss, but only if you have a sort of firewall that can block intrusion attempts. The only thing that the normal internet user can see when they go to your ip address (i.e. rtp3.fw.nu, 523.123.13.542) is whatever is in the htdocs folder and whatever other folders you allow access to using the Abyss console.
I'm your mirror's reflection.
shoutcast page
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: